Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
pirhana food
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkcorner1502
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)22:02    Post subject: pirhana food Reply with quote

I am feeding my pirhana's brine shrimp and I throw a few pellets in there too is there any other good food that you would know of to feed them because at the moment they are pretty small and can't eat much.
bohica
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please answer the following questions to help us help you.

1. What specie do you have?

2. What size tank?

3. What type filtration and GPH?

4. How large are the Pirhanas?

5. How many do you have?

6. Any other fish with them?

Thank you.

Bo
darkcorner1502
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 redbelly's in a 20gallon tank I just bought them 3 days ago and there prob only an inch-inch and a half long there are 5 zebra danios and 2 rosy barbs in the tank the filter is a whisper filter and I don't know the gph's all I know is the guy at my lfs said that they were all good.
bohica
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I am just gonna answer your question about food here but I strongly suggest you re-read the excellant advice given to you by EllisdTrails in your other Pirhana post.

Pirhanas are not really the monsters that movies make them out to be. In real life they are opprotunistic feeders who eat just about anything that they find. Even fruit!

If you have no objection to feeding live food you can try ghost shrimp and feeder guppys. They will also take most of the common frozen foods and freeze dried krill. If they are eating pellets you should have no problem getting them to eat just about anything.

Bo
darkcorner1502
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks a lot
ellisdtrails
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.17(Sun)1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

o.k. so since it's pretty inevitable if your gonna keep these guys your gonna have to go bigger. so what I would do is when it comes time, use that 20g for a feeder tank. for now you can get feeder guppies rather cheep and watch the piranha gorge themselves(once they reach a certain size and will no longer eat guppies or rosies, use goldfish) . or I've always used earthworms aswell which is very cheep, FREE!, and very good for them. I would always advise live food for them, but bohica is right if there eating pellets now they'll eat anything. once they have eaten live food though, it's hard to get them to eat anything else. anyways good luck! and be kind to the piranha, respect the piranha, love the piranha<::::>~~
darkcorner1502
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.17(Sun)21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks I just noticed today that one of the zebra's was missing its whole tail and another one was missing part of its tail so maybe the'll eat them I don't know but thanks a lot for all the info!!
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: