Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Can Neons and Cardinals live 2gether in a school?
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prinze
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)20:26    Post subject: Can Neons and Cardinals live 2gether in a school? Reply with quote

Hi I used to have 12 Neon tetra's and most of them died off from Ich or some other odd disease (they contracted it from my former Emperor Tetra's which I didn't quarantine). I have 2 left in my 55 Gallon Tanks and 3 in Quarantine (and they are doing quite well).

Would it be OK to buy 10 Cardinal Tetra's??? Will the Neon's school 2gether with the 10 Cardinals?

Tank Info:
-55 Gallon, Planted Aquarium
-Magnum 350 Canister Filter, Penguin 170 Gallon/hour Sponge Power Filter, 160 Gallon/hour Powerhead (for circulation)
- Ammonia 0, Nitrate: Small traces, Nitrite: havent tested but was 0

Fish in tank:
4 Small Angelfish
3 Bolivian Rams (I LOVE THESE FISH!)
4 Corydoras Cat Fish
1 Small (tiny) Commom Pleco
2 Neon Tetra's

I was thinking of getting Serpae Tetra's, Mollies, or Guppies as well. Two of the three groups. Most likely the Mollies or Guppies.

Can anyone give me any advise or recommendations?
bohica
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)22:22    Post subject: Re: Can Neons and Cardinals live 2gether in a school? Reply with quote

prinze wrote:
Hi I used to have 12 Neon tetra's and most of them died off from Ich or some other odd disease (they contracted it from my former Emperor Tetra's which I didn't quarantine). I have 2 left in my 55 Gallon Tanks and 3 in Quarantine (and they are doing quite well).

Would it be OK to buy 10 Cardinal Tetra's??? Will the Neon's school 2gether with the 10 Cardinals?

Tank Info:
-55 Gallon, Planted Aquarium
-Magnum 350 Canister Filter, Penguin 170 Gallon/hour Sponge Power Filter, 160 Gallon/hour Powerhead (for circulation)
- Ammonia 0, Nitrate: Small traces, Nitrite: havent tested but was 0

Fish in tank:
4 Small Angelfish
3 Bolivian Rams (I LOVE THESE FISH!)
4 Corydoras Cat Fish
1 Small (tiny) Commom Pleco
2 Neon Tetra's

I was thinking of getting Serpae Tetra's, Mollies, or Guppies as well. Two of the three groups. Most likely the Mollies or Guppies.

Can anyone give me any advise or recommendations?

To simply answer your question...yes they will. I have personally kept a "cloud" (around 60) neons/cardinals in a 110 xtra high planted aquarium.

If you would'nt mind a little advice? The angels will eventually make a meal of your neons/cards. The larger varieties of molly will also.

I would also advise you to get at least a dozen (more if you can) neons/cards. They do much better in a large school.

Bo
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)5:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give a second opinion, you may not have a problem with angelfish eating your neons and cardinals. The general rule is, young angelfish that are brought up with neons and cardinals often never see them as prey. Once the angelfish are full grown, they may turn on the tetras and start munching on them. In my experience, this is much less likely to happen with cardinals than neons, as they get bigger.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: