Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
20Gal sump for 40gal tank....a newbie to salties
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiMi_2k3
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)15:22    Post subject: 20Gal sump for 40gal tank....a newbie to salties Reply with quote

OK, so if you havent read my other post on the Fishes and corals board, heres a quick overview of my situation.

I have an empty 20gal (90L) tank that I wanted to keep a reef in. But after much research and a lenghty chat with a couple of different marine stockists they suggested that I started with as big as I could go, and since a 48" tank won't fit in my room, I'm customising and getting a 40"x20"x12" 40Gallon tank made. which then leaves me with an empty 20gal tank and all its accessories; heater, air pump, eheim ecco 2231 filter and so on.

after looking in to it a bit more I have decided to use the 20gal as a sump and feed the sump using the Eheim to pre-filter any nasties, dumping its out-flow into the sump, the sump will have a 3"-4" dsb of live sand and then a baffled section for a adequate sized protein skimmer to be placed, this then moving over to a pump for return to the tank.........heres where I became stuck. I'm am totally unsure of the eheims turn over rate. When I bought it, it came with a ready packed 'custom' system put together by my lfs for a freshie tank, its done its job darn well in the freshie so I didn't worry about the turn over rate untill now. What liters/hr (gal/hr) pump would I need for the return pump?? would a simple 800lph pump do the trick, or leave the sump high and dry through lack of input from the eheim??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.20(Wed)16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres some info on your ehime with the turnover rate

http://www.superfishstore.com/EheimEccoNEWfilter1.htm
SiMi_2k3
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.21(Thu)11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again Karlas.

the website gave me some very useful info. but unforrtunately I didn't take into account the problems posed if a power outtage occured. if one happened the eheim would syphon out all of the water from the tank Shocked causing the sump to over flow, and an impromtu water change on the 40Gal. neway, the eheim has found a better home in the use with a 20gal heavily stocked S.American Freshie tank.

thanks all the same Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: