Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Sick betta? Please help.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minky
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)7:15    Post subject: Sick betta? Please help. Reply with quote

My betta has tiny little white spots on him. Not many at all - to be honest, I wonder if they are just bits of food that are stuck to him. He's all 'droopy' if you know what I mean. He's in a tank with 6 neons and 2 silver tips, no nipping or anything has been going on that I can tell.

Do you think the white spots are in fact a disease? If so, how should I treat him?

Thanks.
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)7:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they look like grains of salt sprinkled all over? If so, he may have ich. Try a treatment with malachite green in it, or any of the "ich" medications at your LFS. Be sure and vaccum the gravel a few times during the treatment, and continue it for at least 5 days after all the spots have gone away.
Read your medication carefully, because some ich medications are dangerous to tetras.
Jeff J.
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)7:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, from what you say it may be Ich. You may want to medicate the betta seperate from the tetras. The treatments are usually toxic to the tetras (when treating tetras you have to half the dosage). Can you set up a hospital tank for the betta?
minky
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look like grains of salt now that you mention it. Not that many mind.

I don't have a separate hospital tank. Any ideas as to what else I could use? Also, don't I have to treat the tank anyway so prevent reinfection?
minky
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've been to the LFS. I have bought a small 'hospital tank' for the betta - seeing as they can live in jars/vases, I assume I don't need to bother with a full on filter/heater for now .

The LFS recommended a medication called 'Protozin' . There is no 'ingredients' list so I can't see if malachite (?) is used in it. The LFS told me to treat the whole tank so I have tentatively added half the stated dose. However, I'm alarmed to read that some of these fish meds can kill of aquatic plants. Crying or Very sad - is this true?

Where do I go from here? Do I move the betta and continue to treat BOTH tanks? Or shoudl I move the betta, treat him only and do partial water changes in the main tank daily for a week or so (I read another post on white spot).

I'm so confused!
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, and especially since I haven't heard of your medication, I would treat just the betta, but I would watch my other fish carefully for signs of infection.
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minky,
I would recommend you use a product called 'WS3 White Spot Terminator', it does contain malachite green and you should not light the tank when treating with it. I would treat your whole tank with the betta in as well, with tetras you should use half dosage just to be safe though.
This stuff is very very effective, it can totally wipe out white spot in 48 hours and it won't kill your plants either!
Also note it is very dangerous to overdose, if you do it won't just be the Ich that is dead! Shocked

This is what it looks like: http://62.73.162.188/acatalog/A000_WS3__67.html
minky
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)4:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I've just had another look at the bottle of meds - it says it can be used for neon tetra disease, whatever that is so I assume it's OK to treat the whole tank albeit very cautiously.

Should I also increase the temp? It's currently about 75F.

And should I add salt? When people talk of adding salt to an aquarium, what kind of salt? Table salt or salt from a LFS?
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)4:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

minky,

Have a look at this, it should answer most of your question:
www.bellaonline.com/articles/art3529.asp

Don't hesitate to ask anything else if you are unsure. Smile
minky
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic Type-R, that's answered my questions for me! Very Happy
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board