Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Please could someone help me with my Guppy!!!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Betta4eva
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)2:43    Post subject: Please could someone help me with my Guppy!!! Reply with quote

Hi everyone

Here is the problem - on Wednesday I went to my LFS and got 3 new fancy female guppies and 2 fancy males and seemed fine until I got home from work yesterday and seen that one of the males (Fragle) was swimming just below the water surface and with his mouth right beside the air uplift where the water comes out! I am really worried about him Crying or Very sad !
The other male I got Balzam was form the same tank in the LFS and he is fine! The other thing about fragle was he swims quite funny, its almost like his tail is to heavy for him and its pulling him down, he swims sort of straight up if you know what I mean. I did a 20% water change last night, the pH is 7.0 - 7.2, Ammonia is 0.0 and nitrites are 0.0 - 0.25 all my other guppies swim normally and are fine! Any help you could give me would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Roxanne
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the rest of your tank water stats? Nitrates, etc?

How large is this tank, and what else is in it?

Nitrites should be zero. Always--unless you are cycling a tank. In which case, I'd do more water changes and cut back on the food.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Betta4eva
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)3:06    Post subject: Guppy Reply with quote

Hi
Sorry I don't know what the rest are I only have a test kit for Ammonia, pH and Nitrites. The others in the tank are -

2 Albino corydoras
6 Danios Zebra/Leopard
6 Neon Tetras
4 female guppies and 3 males (inc fragle)
Soon to be 1 african dwarf frog

All the others are fine sorry I ot it wrong there is no Nitrites but 0.0 - 0.25 but it is treated with Cycle and Ammo Lock.

Thanks for your reply
Betta4eva
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)3:42    Post subject: Sorry Reply with quote

Sorry
I meant there is no nitrites and my Ammonia is at 0.0 - 0.25

Sorry about that

Roxanne
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxanne,

How old is this tank? Has it cycled properly? Why are you adding cycle and ammo lock and how often? It would be useful to know how big your tank is and exactly what is living in it so we can help more.
If in doubt change 20% of your water everyday and add only a product to neutralise chlorine and chloramine.

The joys of fishkeeping! Rolling Eyes
johnny's fish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is the tank? I assume its kinda a new tank and it is in the process of cycling. I would do daily water changes pf 20%. Your fish probably have Amonia poisioning from the sound of it. Also adding chemicals is not good for the tank or for the fish. Also what size is the tank so we know if you are over stocked or not.

Good Luck
John
Betta4eva
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)7:01    Post subject: Guppies Reply with quote

John Laughing

thanks for your info, I added some aquarium salt and started doing 15% water changes everyday over the weekend and that seems to have helped a lot. All my fish are swimming about and seem a lot happier. I added 'Ammo Lock' to get rid of the ammonia as I tested it and it seemed to have jumped to a high level. I am not going to add any more fish for a while and let the ammonia settle, with regular daily water changes I think it will clear up.

Thanks for all your help!

Very Happy Roxanne Very Happy
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: