Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Crustaceans and/or amphibians that mix well with Cichlids?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smirnoffski
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)21:06    Post subject: Crustaceans and/or amphibians that mix well with Cichlids? Reply with quote

I was wondering whether it is possible to add some crabs, lobsters, frogs or salamanders to my 40gal African Cichlid tank.
What would be the best recommendation?

Thanks!
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything you don't mind losing.

Seriously, salamanders and other amphibians have no business being in a cichlid tank--unless they're intended as a snack.

Also, while crabs, lobsters, and crayfish may make a dent in your fish population (depending on the species of invert), all crustaceans "shed" their skin, leaving them vulnerable to attack.

The best crustacean for you may well be the ghost shrimp; they don't get large, and they're often sold by the dozen, so even if your fish eat them all, you're not out on much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Batman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.22(Fri)23:49    Post subject: no Reply with quote

Thats not true. Don't take this the wrong way, but I know that you are wrong. Salamanders will be eating african cichlids instead. They get huge and can swallow adult fish up to 8 inches long. Just don't add anything liike newts. Since newts don't get very big and get eating really quick. Frogs are a bad idea and so are salamanders because they shed and clog filters. Lobsters are not the best idea either. Its either the cichlids eating the amphibians, or the other way around.
10 Gallon Planted
1 Chinchilla 1 German Shepherd
Assorted Reptile Species
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should have been more clear.

Cichlids WILL eat amphibians---and vice versa. However, with the exception of the African clawed frog, I have not seen many amphibians on the market that would be large enough to be a threat to cichlids of this nature. Of course, that's a broad generalization---we would need the species specifically in mind to know for certain.

One more reason why lobsters are not a good idea: I believe that most of them are from saltwater.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.24(Sun)18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have kept a crayfish in a cichlid tank with no trouble between the two. However, the fish were decent sized rift lake. In fact I need a clean up crew and considering another crayfish as the last one lodged him/her self between a rock and the glass, dying over night. I am no expert on amphibians, but generally stay away as they will eat anything they get their mouths on. Smallers ones I could easily see becoming a snack for just about any medium to large cichlid. I once saw a video of a grass snake stalking toad or frog, unfortunatly for the amphibian, it became lunch. That image stuck in my head for years now, I have yet to put an amphibian in my tanks.

As far as the ghost shrimp or Amano shrimp, they've never lasted more than 48 hours with my angels or africans. I put 12 in my african tank when the fish were small, less than 48 hours all gone. Good snack bad pets. I lost $15 in Amano shrimp 2 weeks ago to the angels.. *sigh*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: