Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
starting new planted tank..should I add ammonia?
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparky
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)16:20    Post subject: starting new planted tank..should I add ammonia? Reply with quote

okay so I got my other 75 gallon tank set up just now. Flourite substrate, I'm injection LARGE amounts of CO2, and 220 Watts of CF light for 10hours a day. I know I shouldn't add any trace elements to the water right now, but what about some ammonia and or potassium? I want to get these plants growing strong before I put any fish in but I also want to avoid growing any algae.
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid adding ammonia in a planted tank. Adding ammonia to a planted tank is almost a sure fire recipe for algae explosions. Instead add nitrate via potassium nitrate to achieve and sustain a nitrate range of 5-15ppm. Add potassium via potassium sulfate or potassium chloride to establish an initial 20ppm of potassium. Thereafter, add 20ppm to the change water only...meaning, if you do a 25% water change add enough K+ to make the "new" added water have a 20ppm of K+ concentration. Keep CO2 in the 20-30ppm and the plants should begin to really take off soon. When the new growth begins to appear yellowish instead of light green, add your iron/trace mix...with your lighting, that may only take a week or two. Also, because you have strong lighting, you will probably need to add iron/traces 2-3 times per week when things are growing really well.

Personally, I always add my algae eating crew at this time too. Amano shrimp and SAE's are added first. Then the Oto's after the first 2-3 weeks. By the third week you should be able to add whatever you want within reasonable numbers and sizes of fish per addition.
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

will do!
Its amazing that the plants are pearling away like crazy already!
I'll add the KNO3 and KCL in the morning. I've got my army of otos and SAE in the old tank just waiting to go in in a few weeks.

I'm using Tropica MAster Gro for my trace and plan on doing water changes 25% every week.
sound good?
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: