Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Problem...
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyravr
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)6:46    Post subject: Problem... Reply with quote

I hope someone can help me with this.

I have a 55g tank. I got lots of rock for it from a local lake. I did not boil to rocks (I had no idea I had to) and all I did was scrub them with a brush under hot running water. After a few days now I have a thin film of "stuff" floating on the surface.

I don't know if this is from the rocks or not... there are no fish in the tank... But I would really love o get rid of all that.

Any ideas as to what it is and how to get rid of it ?

thanks
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

What color is the "stuff?" Did you use soap when cleaning?

If it's not greenish (algae Wink) and you didn't use soap, try taking a bucket and taking out all the water that is at the top.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
crazyravr
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

when the aquarium was set up just scrubed and cleaned it with hot water. I never use any sort of soaps etc.. for cleaning the tank.

The color of this stuff if white and almost see thru... its just a thin film...

This came up few days after I added the rocks... before that the water was cristal clean with just gravel, few plastic plants, filters etc...

I will try to change some of the water 2day and hope this will help...

Anyone else ?
Kate
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rocks could have had something on them. In our environment...who knows. Personally I would start over. Remove the water, rocks, etc...clean tank again. There is a test that you do on rocks with vinegar I believe. not sure of the exact method. Here's a good site that lists rock use, etc....

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/

Or you could try skimming it all out, run the filter a while doing tests and then throw a cheap tropical fish in there and see what happens? Or have the water tested at a lfs.
crazyravr
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I will just take some of the water into a jar and bring it over the my LFS just to see what they have to say about it.
Kate
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.... Very Happy let me know what they say. It may be nothing serious just dirty stuff from the rocks.
crazyravr
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea it was bacteria that came off the rocks.... articles/people said it was a good thing actualy... but since this creates mess in the aquarium I took some paper towels and ra them on water surface. Cleaned it all right off.

thanks for help Very Happy

ps.
Thats a great site BTW.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: