Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Stocking 10g planted
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazaro999
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)3:13    Post subject: Stocking 10g planted Reply with quote

I just planted my 10g tank and currently have:

4 cardinal tetras
1 otto
1 pigmy cory
2 cherry red shrimp
2 amano shrimp

1. First off half of this fauna prefers schools. I was wondering if and what schools should be strengthened.

2. I wanted to add a Blue Ram (Papiliochromis ramirezi) or at most two dwarf gouramis to the mix to break away from the monotany of the neons. Would this be a good idea?

3. Also since I got a little hair algae I was wondering of getting a Siamese Algae Eater to have more of a divers algae crew and trading it in when it gets bigger.
Leipo
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)5:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) The Cardinals, Oto's and Cories all prefer schools (around 6 for the Cardinals and at least 3 for the Oto's/Cories)

2) I wouldn't put a Blue Ram or Gourami's in a 10g tank: it's much too small

3) I can't help you here....
Lazaro999
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)6:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so with that there this algae waffer combo I'm thiking:

6 Cardinals
3 ottos
3 pigmy corys
2 Amano shrimp
2 Cherry Red shrimp

and Possibly

1 Siamese Algae Eater(for algae crew eating diversity and higher survival rate over ottos)

How does that sound?
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)7:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick one algae eater, I'd go with 2 otos; they don't have to be in schools, and are not really bothered by being alone (I have them, I should know). The shrimp should take care of your hair algae problem. Or you could take off the otos completely, since they like to eat soft algae and diatoms.

And also a another reason to scratch off the SAE is because it is pretty difficult to find a real one. There are so many CAE and flying foxes sold as SAE. Also sometimes those are in with SAE and SAE in with them! Also it is really gonna be hard to sell them back in and get another one.

I might take off the cories too --I've never kept them with shrimp-- but they might make a meal of the shrimp. Also you really don't want two bottom feeders.

My suggested set up:

6 Cardinals
2 ottos
2 Amano shrimp
2 Cherry Red shrimp

--OR--

6 Cardinals
3 Amano shrimp
3 Cherry Red Shrimp

(you can probably put more shrimp in the set up, but I've only kept ghost shrimp) Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Garrett
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd scratch the SAE. They tend to get quite large (too large for a 10 gal) when full grown (if you can even find a real one). I'd stick with the ottos. I've got 4 in my 12 gallon and they do a pretty good job in keeping the algae to a minimum. I'd suggest:

6 Cardinals
2 to 3 Ottos
3 pygmy cories
and then the shrimp

Hope this helps.

"Wit is educated insolence"
Jeff J.
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely keep those Cardinals in a school. 6 minimum to keep them happy. Its a feeling of security for the fish.
Choice Words
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the majority of people report otos being unhappy and dying unless the have at least one tank mate. 2 more would be even better IMO.
Lazaro999
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! After just one day this has been so informative. I'd like to thank everyone so far for the input.
Leipo
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)5:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

LizTheFish wrote:
I might take off the cories too --I've never kept them with shrimp-- but they might make a meal of the shrimp. Also you really don't want two bottom feeders.

the Cories won't eat your Shrimp. He has the Pygmee Cories which will stay very small and will not be a threat to your Shrimp. I have 3 Corydoras Sodalis (which are 5cm now and will grow some more) and 2 Amano Shrimp and they have never even tried to eat a part of the Amano's (not even their tentacles).
also the Pygmees tend to swim in mid-water too so I don't think that will become a problem.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: