Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Important question! - Powerhead 201
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Widower
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)19:40    Post subject: Important question! - Powerhead 201 Reply with quote

Hi, Any help with this would be GREAT!
I have drawn a picture, but didn't know it had to be on a website to use it, thought you could upload it from your drive, so a friend is putting it on a website tomorrow, so I shall edit the post and add the picture.

[ADDED] http://www.angelfire.com/ex/wxw1/powerhead.html[/ADDED]

I have an UGF, Powerhead 201.

It was making a lot of noise, once all connected, my brother told me that he'd fiddle about and try and make the noise stop. I came home afew hours later, and he had indeed made the noise stop completely. Aproximately 5days, I realised he simply unplugged it, I went absolutely mad at him! I cannot explain how noisey the powerhead is, the only really comparison I can compare it, if the telephone was a constant ring, thats how loud it would be, it really is loud, as the tank is in my living room, we have to have the tv turned up really loud.

I have a tube going from the powerhead and out into the air, and a little black plastic thing that goes in the end of the tube which you can turn to change the amount of air going into the tube. No matter how far the nozzle is turned, nothing changes. I decided if I attached my airpump to the pipe, then it would be the same as normal airflow going into the tube. Bubbles started to appear out of the triangular opening, which is in the tank, and not in the plastic tube that goes under the gravel.

I'm not even sure how to tell if the filter is working, I've never had this kind of filter before, and received it second hand for free, with no instruction manual, or box Sad

Any help with this situation would be fantastic!
I really apprichiate any help.
Thank you.
McSamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)5:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have the same problem!
I think I posted a post like yours on this board,
or another board.
No1 seemed to be able to help,
In the end I went and bought a new filter.
Sorry I can be of no help,
Maybe someone will beable to help you.
Widower
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Sad
I hope I don't have to buy a whole new one...
Hopefully someone will be able to help.
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there are two problems here. One is how UGFs work and two is the noisy powerhead.

Undergravel filters work by drawing in water through the gravel into the filter plate at the bottom of the tank. That cleaned water is then expelled via a tube that rises up out of the gravel. There are two ways to drive this water flow. One is by feeding an airline into the tube and bubble air up through the tube. The rising bubbles cause an upwards flow of water. Secondly, if you hook up a water pump (I.e. a powerhead) to the UGF, then this creates the water flow.

The noise of your powerhead might just be, because of the airline that's attached to it. Try taking the airline off, it is not required to run your UGF, nor is it necessary for the function of the powerhead. Let us know if that significantly reduces the noise.

Hope this works for you... mario
Widower
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)9:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried taking the airflow out, and even the whole pipe.
This didn't reduce the noise.

Thank you, I really didn't know much about UGF's, you've helped a lot.

Could I use my powerhead without the UGF plastic tube attached to it?

Sorry if I'm sounding dumb.
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)9:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure you can use your powerhead without the UGF. However, it does not really work as a filter anymore. It would just move water around in your tank.

The next thing you can do about your noisy powerhead is to take it apart. Most likely there is a lose part somewhere, that causes some rattling or grinding. A good cleaning of all the parts often helps. Take particular care in cleaning the impeller: the small propeller that drives the water through the powerhead.
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can help you here as I had exactly the same experience!
First of all, the power head must be sat on top of the UGF uptake tube (the one going under the gravel). It must be seated properly so that water is drawn down through the gravel and then up the tube not from the open water surrounding the power head!

Also I never use the air tube connection as it just adds noise and encourages CO2 loss from the water (don't worry about this unless you have real plants).

The problem with the noise is inherent of the (poor) design. If you open up the power head and take out the impeller you will find the plastic fin piece moves freely back and forth on the metal cylinder. It is this rattling back and forth which causes the noise! All you have to do is get some super glue and put a blob on the plastic impeller so that it is stuck securely to the metal cylinder. Once this is thoroughly dry you can re-assemble and off you go!
The other thing that can happen is an airlock. What you need to do is put the power head in the tank and turn it upside down and give it a little shake, some bubbles will come out of the impeller housing. Then without taking the powerhead back out of the water position it on top of the uptake tube (this can be a pain!). This should cure your noise problems. If you are unclear about any of the above please post any more questions.

Oh yes and finally the blob of super glue won't kill your fish, I had the same on a tank for two years with no ill effects.
Mike
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this problem recently on my 201.

To prove whether its the head on not remove it from the UGF and just dangle it in he water.

Pull out the impellor, check the ends of the impellor. Is the round hole worn into an elipse. This will cause vibration. (Both sides)

Also check the metal rod shaft inside. Mine snapped and it disapeared, god knows where, so the magnet wasn't spinning freely inside the magnetic field.

I got a very fine stainless steel crochering pin and araldited into the hole and found the centre.

The powerhead is nearly as good as new now, except the magnetic shaft ellipse wear.
Widower
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your help.
Type-R, I think your information maybe whats wrong.
I printed off your reply,
But the beginner I am, once I opened up the Powerhead,
I got puzzled.
I am taken some pictures of my powerhead parts.
Could you try and explain, via the pictures, what I should do
the pictures are also on;
http://www.angelfire.com/ex/wxw1/powerhead.html
Thanks again
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Widower,

On the impeller which you have taken out, there is the metal body of the impeller and the white plastic piece with the fins on. When you hold the metal body you can turn the white plastic piece back and forth against the little metal stops on the body. This is what rattles, the white plastic flicks backwards and forwards against the little metal stop as the impeller spins. You will notice that on the white plastic piece there is a slit up the side. What you need to do it hold the plastic piece against one of the metal stops on the body and then blob some superglue into the slit to bond the plastic to the metal. Once this is set properly you can pop it back into the powerhead and re-assemble. As long as it is glued securely enough there should be virtually no noise.

Let us know how you get on - feel free to ask anything else. Smile
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: