Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Home Made CO2
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gunrunner
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)17:59    Post subject: Home Made CO2 Reply with quote

Hi ,

Just wondering if you could help with a small problem I've encountered . I'm Thinking of making my own CO2 bottle , but I have got one of those hagen co2 canisters already . My first question is ... shall I replace the hagen with home made bottle ? , Use the hagen bottle with own mixture ? or use both at the same time ? Shocked
The other little problem I have is that I asked the better half for some baking soda , and she's returned from shopping with bicarbonate of soda AND baking powder .... which one do I use ? Confused
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends if you want to add a second bottle to your Hagen system. You can definitely use the Hagen canister with your home-made yeast-sugar mixture. How big is your tank? If it is 20 gallons or less, I would suggest you stick with just the Hagen system. If you got a larger tank, then adding a second bottle might be helpful.

Also, it depends on a number of other factors whether you want to add another bottle. The best way to figure it out is to check how much CO2 you have in solution in your water right now. To find out you should measure your pH and your KH and the use this table to determine the amount of free CO2. If you have about 10ppm or higher, then a second bottle is unnecessary and potentially harmful.

Hope this helps... mario

PS: Chuck Gadd's website is a great place to read up on various topics related to planted tanks.
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)20:11    Post subject: Re: Home Made CO2 Reply with quote

gunrunner wrote:
The other little problem I have is that I asked the better half for some baking soda , and she's returned from shopping with bicarbonate of soda AND baking powder .... which one do I use ? Confused

Use the bicarbonate of soda which is 100% sodium bicarbonate. Baking powder is a mixture of cornstarch, bicarbonate of soda, sodium aluminum sulfate and acid phosphate of calcium...don't use the baking powder.
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying guys , the tank is a 4 ft , 210 ltr , or 55 gal . sorry , I should had stated this with the main post Rolling Eyes
gunrunner
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys ,

What is the best mixture to use in a home made concoction in my hagen container .... ie yeast , bicarb of soda , water ect .
I did read it somewhere which gave me the idea in the first place , but I can't remember for the life of me where I saw it !
Leipo
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIY CO2 perhaps?
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)14:30    Post subject: My Hagen DIY mixes Reply with quote

I've been playing with various things in the Hagen bottles and have come back to using bread yeast. The unit with baking soda is doing a bit better than the one without.

I"m using 1/4 teaspoon bread yeast (keep in fridge, in ziplock, after opening) and up to 1 teaspoon baking soda. Sometimes I add yeast nutrient, sometimes I don't. This with the indicated amount of sugar, the bars inside the bottle, and the indicated amount of water.

I'm still trying to get one that lasts a good long time and then I'll try to repeat that mix with consistant results. Once in a while I cna get 3 weeks+ and then the next time, same mix, it bombs right away. So, two weeks is the best I can do as I don't let it go to zero ever but change when the rate gets down to about 3 bpm so I can keep the pH more constant.

I keep scattered notes so I can't tell you all the things I've played with, but the wine and ale yeast have been constant disapointments in the Hagen bottles. The high temperature thing is a recent theory.

I do use wine yeast with gelatine in a bigger tank with DIY equipment and it does fine there. In the small Hagen bottle it didn't seem to behave any differently than just sugar.

It still could be that there is some bacteria that builds up as I only rinse the bottles and occasionally rinse the lids. I tried rinsing with boiling water and then used that for the yeast when it cooled to 105 degrees but the wine yeast just died at that temp.
coastie
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.19(Tue)19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody out there had any experience with either the hagen or dupla co2 kits.
Haven't set up my tank as yet I'll be away in perth for about four weeks and will leave it till I come back.
Read much on the net about pH levels dropping etc with the addition of co2 ,might wait till my tank has cycled and has settled down but am interested in co2 injection,but have to do plenty of shopping around by the look of things.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.20(Wed)6:44    Post subject: Tank size Reply with quote

the size of the tank has a lot to do with what you will select.

The Hagen is good for up to 20 gallon tanks. I have that on a 10 G and a 20 G tank. for the 29 G tank, I use DIY CO2 in a 2 liter bottle with a DIY bubble counter and a DIY reactor. Above 30 G, most people go for pressurized CO2, but DIY can work if the water is right and you pay attention.

The Hagen and DIY both have constantly declining rates, so if the varying pH is a problem, go for pressurized CO2. Initital costs are high, running cost is low.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: