Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Help...? RE: my Black Striped Tetra's...
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)15:30    Post subject: Help...? RE: my Black Striped Tetra's... Reply with quote

Hello;

my water tests are as follows :

nitrate = 40
nitrite = zero
ammonia = zero
pH = 7.4

temp. 81 to 83 degrees (summer heat!!!)

My Black Striped Tetra's are losing the black color on the bottom "skirt" fin. At first I thought it was fin rot, but then noticed it was actually the black color just slowly fading back. They still have great stripe color, swim fine, eat fine and so on. I am just concerned about the skirt fin losing the black. Is it normal or have any of you experienced this?

Thanks for any help or input.

Oh - and weekly water changes of 30%.

The other fish tank inhabitants are :
2 cherry barbs
3 Mollys

and my 3 Black Striped Tetra's (used to have 4, one passed away a while ago)

This is a 10G tank.
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camel, I can only guess that your fish are a little stressed. Often, the fading of colors is the first sign of some sort of problem to come. It might be that your temperature is higher than usual, or that the Nitrate levels are too high.

Does your tapwater have high Nitrate levels? With 30% water changes per week, the nitrate levels should be lower. All I can suggest for now is to keep an eye on your fish, try to get the temperature as stable as possible and maybe lower those Nitrate levels.

Cheers... mario
camel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mario.

The temp. is driving me nuts! But I will keep trying to make it slighlty lower yet still stable.

Yes, the Nitrate and pH in my area is super dooper high. I will still try and get it to be a little lower. Maybe smaller water changes more often - (2, 20% per week?)

The fin is normal and you can literally see where the color part is fading out. It almost look like the layer which had the color had peeled or bin nipped off? But then the whole fin is still there, it is just clear in the areas where the black color top layer was.

Thanks for the help!!
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camel, where do you live? Just so I know to bring bottled water if I ever travel there. Very Happy
camel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

San Diego

So. Cal - it's high pH water and nitrates are sky high

and here I thought fish keeping would be simple in a land of beaches and wild life ... shame on me!

I would assume your water levels are high? Or no...

This friend of mine from Queens had some white water when first poured from the tap - but 10 seconds later it was nice and clear Shocked
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

My water is as perfect as one can wish for. Low GH and KH, no nitrates, nitrites, no chloramines, very low chlorine, pH7.6 Very Happy

I do live on a University Campus in Manhattan and I think our water is independent of the regular city water. I'll probably be struggling much more as soon as I move.

And I better get started on buying that bottled water since I'm traveling to SoCal in a couple of days (returning to my stomping grounds in beautiful Confused Riverside).
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camel,
I know that Black Skirt Tetras (Usually called Black Widows in the UK) do lose their colour (or should that be color Wink ) as they get older. As far as I know this is usually most noticable as the stripes fade away and the fish becomes a uniform grey/black. I can't say I have personal experience of this as I don't think my widows are old enough yet! If yours are getting older maybe the fins start to fade first? Hope it's nothing and that colour comes right back! Smile
camel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a good thing whatever is happening. And I do not think it is the age.

It may be stress, especially with the heat of the summer.

It's nothing to do with the stripes, I have seen them get spooked and loose the color there quickly. This is more the bottom skirt fin gradually loosing the black like it is peeling away. It totally looks like it would be fin rot, but the fin is there, it's the color portion layer peeling, fading away.

I am doing more water changes in hopes it helps........

Thanks for the feedback !!!

Mario - hope your fish are okay during these power outages!!, must be HOT!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: