Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Odd guppy behaviour
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)15:02    Post subject: Odd guppy behaviour Reply with quote

My girlfriend had her ten gallon tank stocked with some guppies, tetra and gouramis (2 fancy guppies, 3 neon tetras, 5 sparkling gouramis) and the guppies fins were getting nipped.

Well, one guppy vanished. Completely. The other she put into her sisters old betta habitat and it burrowed underneath the gravel and died.

Is this normal behaviour for stressed guppies? Will she find the first guppy buried in her gravel somewhere? (the largest fish was smaller than the guppies)
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I never heard of a guppy burrowing into the gravel. With the tetras and the gouramis I would assume that the first guppy just got eaten. Why the second one would try to burrow-- no idea.
T
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weird thing about the first guppy is that it was there one hour and gone the next. All the tetras and gouramis are <=1 inch so even if they ate a bit of the guppy they wouldn't be able to eat the skeleton. She's checked the filter and all around the tank but it's covered and she can't find it. She hasn't poked around in the gravel because she's afraid of finding it so... Next time I come over I'll check that out for her.

Yeah the second guppy's death was just weird. It got completely underneath an ornament and a lot of gravel, only a bit of it's tail was showing.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: