Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cichlids for community tank
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Artkelli
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)14:23    Post subject: Cichlids for community tank Reply with quote

I was looking for colorful fish for my community tank. 55gallons, 5 rainbows, gourami, 3 ottos and came across a lemmon cichlid. I've read you can pit them in community tanks. I was looking for opinions on this? Also any other ideas on colorful cichlids that would be OK with my other fish?

Thanks for your help.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I won't say a Lemon Cichlid wouldn't work out in your tank, but if you're looking for a yellowish Cichlid I would rather suggest an Orange Chromide:

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/gorange.html

or if you'd like a multi-colored cichlid a Krib would work fine:

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/gkrib.html

Then there are several species of dwarf cichlids (Apistos, Rams) the would also be options, check them out in the Gallery section.
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's not the most colorful fish in the world, but for a community setup, I highly recommend Keyhole cichlids. Mine are in a "community" setup and they are extremely well behaved. These guys are much hardier than some of the other dwarf cichlids such as rams.

Marcos doesn't have them in the gallery just yet, but soon...(hint, hint, Wink )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Artkelli
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I've been looking at the Orange Chromide but have a question. I've read they need salt in the water, is that correct?

If so how will that effect my other fish or can they go without it?
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Etroplus maculatus is from Indian/Sri lankan estuaries and therefore a brackish fish, but the Orange Chromide is a captive-bred variant that's been around for many decades and is highly adaptable...to the point that they can thrive in almost any setup from planted tanks to african cichlid tanks without affecting their color, behavior or longevity. This is actually a common characteristic of many brackish fish, since brackish water is quite variable by nature.
Artkelli
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last question, should they be kept in pairs or in larger groups? Also how can you tell male from female?

Thanks for all your help.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal experience with Chromides in communities is similar to Angelfish: it's best to keep only one, or a larger group (5+) but in the latter case you need a large tank. In small groups and/or in small tanks aggression escalates among them and the lesser ranked fish are very unhappy. I think sexing them is virtually impossible but I've never really bothered trying.
Max
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you put a krib and a convict in the same tank with other community fish or if I were to set up an all cichlid tank what could I have in it keeping in mind it would be a 38 gallon?
PharCyde
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.23(Sat)5:35    Post subject: Re: Cichlids for community tank Reply with quote

Artkelli wrote:
5 rainbows, gourami.

What exactly are we talking about here? 5 Rainbowfish or 5 Rainbow Sharks? I'm assuming the former, but if they are rainbowfish what species because some species require a large tank while some smaller ones like the praecox need less space.

What is the gourami? Pearl, Dwarf, etc?

There is a tank from Marcos on the aquahobby homepage with an Orange Chromide, maybe you could read up on that setup? Or Marcos, how did your Orange Chromide do in that tank?
Artkelli
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.25(Mon)14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are Madagascare (spelling) rainbow fish, the gourami is a dwarf fire. I'll have to check out the page with the Orange Chromide.

Thanks
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: