Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
UGF and live plants?
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff J.
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)11:14    Post subject: UGF and live plants? Reply with quote

I have a 10gallon tank and an UGF. I heard the UGF is hard on live plants, and thus I don't know where to start.

What is a beginner plant and some beginner planter tips? The plants will be in with a group of Black Neon Tetras.

I want live plants bad, but I don't know how to start, and have been advised (by some pet store, so that's why I'm asking here) not to get plants with a UGF.

Exclamation Exclamation HELP Exclamation Exclamation
Choice Words
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Garden http://www.aquahobby.com/garden.html

Java Moss and Java Fern are both non-demanding beginner plants. THey are lowlight and don't require a nutrious substrate. They do best when tied to decorations, not planted in the gravel, so your UGF doesn't have to be an issue. They would be very easy to start with, and you could go from there as you learn about lighting, substrates, co2 injections, etc.
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also attach anubias to driftwood and it won't be a problem. Smile If you add java moss, java ferns, and anubias, you really don't need to add CO2 or do anything with your gravel. All you need to do is add liquid fertilizer every once and awhile. Also lighting isn't that big of an issue with these plants since they do very well in low light set ups. HTH! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, many people have had success with plants while running an undergravel filter. There are a couple of drawbacks with your UGF in respect to planted tanks. The UGF will remove nutrients from your gravel, making them unavailable for your plants and UGFs have the tendency to become anaerobic, thus creating a poor environment for plants to root.

You can still have some nice plants in your tank though. You can use the previous suggestions and use plants that can be anchored on roots and rocks (anubias, java fern, java moss, ...). You can try some undemanding, fast growing stem plants (rotala rotundifolia, anachris, hornwort, ...). Finally, you can use small clay pots and plant you plants in there.

Hope this helps... mario
Jeff J.
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hood of the tank has two 25watt light fixtures. I have in one clear and one red light. Do incandescent bulbs work for the plants? How long do they have to be on? I have trouble regulating the temperature when I use the lights. I usually counteract the lights with a fan.
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, unfortunately it is next to impossible to get decent plant growth with incandescent bulbs. You already found out that most of the energy of the bulbs is given of in heat and not in light. If you really want to grow plants, I strongly suggest you invest into better lighting.

If you are a little handy with tools, then a great place to check would be AH Supply. Their 2x13 watt kits would be great for your tank. With that kind of light you could grow all but the most light demanding plants. Even with a single 13 watt kit you would considerably increase the chances of success with your plants.

Once you get hooked on live plants you might want to consider buying a basic book about planted tanks. It will give you a much better understanding about how lights, nutrients and CO2 affect plant growth and which plants would work well with your specific setup.

Cheers... mario
Kazman338
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 29 gallon tank with no co2 system and I also have 2 java ferns and 2 pieces of java moss and one bunch of Hornwort and a 20 watt flourescent fixture. My hornwort is taking over the tank. I also have a UGF and my plants still do fine. Hope This Helps.
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, I completely forgot to mention an alternative to buying a new lighting set up. You could just buy some compact fluorescent tubes that screw into the sockets of your hood. These bulbs were mentioned on a different forum as being the top choice for planted tanks.
Jeff J.
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhA!, I like this option a lot better, thanks, Mario!
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)11:55    Post subject: Cheaper at Wal-mart Reply with quote

You can get some almost like that, made for aquariums, at Walmart. In the pet section.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: