Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New Difficult Species Tank
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EndlikeriEskort
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)20:32    Post subject: New Difficult Species Tank Reply with quote

I am purchasing a 48" long x 13" wide (120cm long x 33cm wide) tank, and I am thinking saltwater would be cool. I love to take on the more dificult species in the fish world, and have a local LFS that gets some black ribbon eels in occasionally. I am not joking when I say this, but they actually eat healthy amounts of mollies, ghost shrimp, and squid. I am thinking of purchasing one (or two?) black ribbon eel(s) (max size 39 inches), two ocean rider gigante or sunburst seahorses, and Dragon Pipefish. I want to grow some caulerpa algae, maybe Grape Caulerpa. What are your opinions on this aquarium setup? <And my mind is set on a black ribbon eel, or maybe two, and I will do whatever it takes to keep it alive. Besides, an acquaintance of mine has kept many (like 20) and told me a secret as to how to get them to eat (worked every time for him), so I am not changing my mind on this one Wink >
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would start small and keep beginner fish for the saltwater world. Keeping freshwater and keeping saltwater tankis are very different. Making a few ooopses in freshwater can be OK, but in saltwater such mistakes can be costly.

The choice is yours.
EndlikeriEskort
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done very dificult freshwater fish, I am keeping a very dificult brackish fish, and I am ready to take on a dificult saltwater fish. <Quick Funny Story> The acquaintance I mentioned set up his first tank about eight years ago. It was a 90 gallon, with two black ribbon eels, four wild-caught seahorses, and three pipefish. Today, he has 6 ribbon eels, 17 pipefish, and 30 seahorses (quite a stunt, gotta find out how he pulled it off Wink).
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you shouldn't get a ribbon eel just yet...they're very hard to keep, all the records show that they live for a few weeks and thats it and ribbon eels r a bit expensive so its not worth it. if you want to get a saltwater eel so badly, get a snowflake eel with big aggresive fish so that none of them get eaten and so that they can take care of themselves, I wouldn't go with seahorses or pipefish, theyre also very difficult to take care of, maybe get a big tank with a snowflake eel, maybe a lionfish or a panther grouper if you like, an angelfish (make sure its not a pygmy angel) and start off with that. those r the best things you can keep with an eel, seahorses and pipefish r'nt a good idea, same thing with the ribbon eel. if you go to n e sire, you'll c that it even says that those fish r either difficult 2 take care of or should only b taken care of by experts. don't waste your money on the rbbon eel and the others.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: