Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fish Don't Get Along
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billistic
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)16:40    Post subject: Fish Don't Get Along Reply with quote

I have a 29 gal. tank with a green terror and texas cichlid. I do a water change every week. The temp. is 80- 82 pH 7.2 .I give them plenty of food . But my problem is my texas cichlid chases my gt and nibbles at it's fins is thier any thig I can do to stop besides getting a second tank. I'm getting a 55 gal. will they still fight . Are green terror long and skinny or do they get fat and tall. Confused
EndlikeriEskort
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green terrors grow to about 8-9 inches, if you get a large specimen, 11 inches is possible. With a texas cichlid, you're looking at ten to twelve inches. These fish are only occasionally compatible, and in these small confines, soon one is bound to be dead. If you want to keep both of these fishes for their lifetimes (and I'm sure you do), then you need to get AT LEAST a 90 gallon tank, since these are different species that are even more territorial than an oscar. A 55 is way to small.... Let alone a 29 (so, yes, they will fight in a 55, probably even in a 75) My two cents: Take back these fish, get different, compatible, small ones.
MASSMAN2
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a 55 gallon both fish should be fine and grow as well, if and only if you add some hiding spaces for the Green Terror. I have a 6 inch Red Oscar, a 3 inch Severum and a 2.5 inch Green Terror in a 55 gallon with lots of hiding places and they do just find and the Green Terror is thriving well. I have driftwood in the middle of the tank, a flowerpot in the left hand corner, a ceramic hollow brick in the right hand corner of the tank.

You just have to add hiding spaces!!!
rudy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curioisty how large are your fish??
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

MASSMAN, I do hope you know that your Oscar will outgrow that tank, even without tankmates.

I side with Sharkman on this one. You need a larger tank, billistic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
billistic
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)22:45    Post subject: to how big my fish are Reply with quote

The texas 3" and the gt 2.5" but the texas is a lot taller and wider than the gt
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: