Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Spawning angels
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bettagal220
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)15:06    Post subject: Spawning angels Reply with quote

My friend(fishfan23) has a wonderful pair of angels. Today they laid their eggs on a sward plant and are very happy. The only problem is, The pair of angels are known to eat their eggs as soon as she is done laying them. My friend fishfan had to go out tonight and told me to check on them. If they start eating the eggs should I take the leaf with the eggs out or keep them in and let nature take its course? I would be putting them in a 2 gallon tank that had a airstone in it. I would be sinking the leaf and letting the bubbles from the air stone gentle hit the little eggs. My friend will be home tonight to take care of the rest. What should I do. He told me to take them out if they start eating but will they survive. Also, If I do move them should I take the gravel out of the 2 gallon so they eggs/fry won't die in between the rocks?

Thanks so much and please respnd ASAP!!!

Battagal220 (and fishfan23)
FishAddict85
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the 2g is cycled and the water is the same, I would remove them. Wink

Sorry if this post is a little late. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bettagal220
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)8:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It ends up they didn't eat the eggs(at least last night but I don't know about this morning). I have to call fishfan23 and see. Thanks for the advice though!!!!

Bettagal220~
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you consider saving the eggs, are you ready for the babies?

Depending on the number...you may have ot free up a tank as large as 70 gallons(or more) for the babies. To get them to saleable size(nickel) will require about 1 gallon to each baby fish. You will also have to have a ten gallon for raising them during the infant stage, and lots of baby brine shrimp to feed them. The trauma will all be over for you in 6-8 weeks....but then they lay eggs again!

However, most petstores are eager to take angels, as they sell quite well.
fishfan23
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly,

I lost the eggs to fungus. I was planning on raising a very small number of the fry but it didn't work out. I left the eggs with their parents until 2 nights ago when I woke up to see that I had about 20 un-fungused eggs. I am very new to angel fish ( the pair I have are my first). Would I have better luck if I let the parents handle the eggs/fry?

thanks
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just depends on the parents. Some will learn to care for their eggs and fry completly and some will always eat them. If I have a pair that's not eating the eggs (or more appropriatly, a tank where nobody is eating the eggs,) I like to let the parents get them hatched for me. I liked taking them out right towards the end of 'velcro' stage. In case you're not familiar with that term, once they hatch they'll have huge eggsacks and be kind of tadpole shaped. They won't be able to swim, and the pair may (probably will) move the group around by picking them up in great numbers and "re-sticking" them to another surface. As the eggsack shrinks, the fish get close to being free-swimming. It's not until they're free-swimming that you need to feed them (they won't really eat anything until then anyway and you'll just be soiling the water.) S, if you wait until the end of the 'velcro' period, you should be able to easily move the fry right before they become free swimming. Free swimming fry are a nightmare to catch and they often die to hang-on-back filter uptakes.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.17(Sun)20:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their first spawning they ate the eggs immediatley. This is the 2nd time they spawned and they showed now interest in eating them and claimed about a quarter of the tank as their territory. I think they will make good parents. I am not very happy with the match though. Before I new that angels don't get along if they are not a pair, I bought 1 angel to make sure that he would survive. He is my original angel. I then bought 2 more which I lost to ich. I then decided to buy another angel. I bought my female (the original is my male). He is a gold marble and she is a silver. Will all of their fry look like their mother? I know that in some animals that the original color always beats out any new color mutations.

thanks
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)8:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never worked with the Gm (gold marble) gene before, but it should be dominant over your wildtype. Fish that are gold marbled are usually Gm/Gm or Gm/g. If the silver angelfish isn't carrying anything funky in her gene pool, you should get either 100% gold marble or 50% gold marble and 50% wild type with a gold gene hiding in there (recessive.)
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.18(Mon)15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Cyradia,

That is just what I wanted to hear!!!
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: