Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
VHO Lighting
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)13:43    Post subject: VHO Lighting Reply with quote

Does anyone here use the VHO ballasts?

The time has come once again to replace the bulbs on my power compacts and supplemental t8's and I have finally gotten my wife talked into letting me get a VHO ballast and setting myself up with a seriously kick-@$$ light source. Now I need to find out if that is the right thing to do.

There are a couple of questions I have, first... Should I go with the Icecap ballast that has the dimming option (for setting up a sunrise-sunset scenario) or should I get the (much cheaper) non-dimming type that I saw on ebay?

Secondly, what color temperature should I use for my (mostly green) plants? 10,000k or 6700k?

And finally... should I just stick with what I've got (it works fine) and replace the bulbs, saving the hundred or so bucks extra I would have spent to use on something else?
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)7:48    Post subject: Re: VHO Lighting Reply with quote

Ken wrote:
Does anyone here use the VHO ballasts?

I have in the past but currently I'm not runnning any VHO's. I do however overdrive Normal Output T-8 fluorescent bulbs with a good electronic ballast...essentially greating a VHO system without using expensive VHO bulbs.

Quote:

There are a couple of questions I have, first... Should I go with the Icecap ballast that has the dimming option (for setting up a sunrise-sunset scenario) or should I get the (much cheaper) non-dimming type that I saw on ebay?

The dimming option is nice if you have fish that are being spooked by the sudden jolt of lighting. I run my photoperiod from 2pm to 2am so that at "lights on" it isn't as harsh, but certainly the dimmer option is better.

Quote:

Secondly, what color temperature should I use for my (mostly green) plants? 10,000k or 6700k?

Provided you don't have a personal viewing preferrence, then going with the 6700K would probably be slightly better for the situation you've described. Personally, I'd mix the two to help promote shorter bushier plants. Plus if you decide to include more red plants the higher blue bulbs (10000K) will slightly help too.

Quote:

And finally... should I just stick with what I've got (it works fine) and replace the bulbs, saving the hundred or so bucks extra I would have spent to use on something else?

VHO does offer a bit of savings at bulb replacement time. With PC's and VHO's running about the same regarding efficiency it's really kind of hard in my mind to justify making the switch. But, I'm really sold on overdriving so my opinion is really tainted toward that direction.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: