Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
cycling and my readings?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)5:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

yhbae,
I'm jealous! Your water is so easy to work with!
IMHO if you are serious about breeding SA cichlids and tetras I would use a commercial product to adjust your water to the required levels and then add it to the tank.
I would recommend using Kent Marine 'pH stable' which adds KH without driving your pH right up like baking soda does. Once you have the required KH you can then add Kent Marine 'pH control minus' to bring your pH down to the required level, 6 for example. You must bear in mind that this is not like using a product like 'Proper pH 6.5' which is a phosphate buffer and causes algae blooms. The method I have described allows you to adjust your water to how you like but you must of course do this every water change as the pH is not 'set' artificially. The other thing that you could do which may be preferable for breeding SA species is to prepare your water in a bucket well before your water change. You should add KH with 'pH stable' as above and then soak some peat in your bucket of water until the pH is where you want it, then remove the peat and do the water change. Obviously this will take more time but the organic acids released by the peat might be just what's needed to stimulate breeding.

Hope this is useful
giddyland
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)9:42    Post subject: did not jump ship Reply with quote

Thanks fo the replies. However , I was testing with the wrong pH kit. My pH is now 7.5/7.6. I am somewhat color blind lol. the gh and KH are the same as my original post. I am actually scared to mess around with chemistry cause my fish all seem fine. Don't want mess with a good thing.

I could have sweared that it was 8 . Is it possible that pH changes in tap water?
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)10:22    Post subject: Lighting and tests Reply with quote

I find that I need to move to a window to read the tests in the daylight instead of the flourescent at the sink. It makes a big difference in the apparent color.
yhbae
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, at least for me, my pH starts around 8 just out of the tap, then gradually goes down and settles at 7.2. After 24 hours, it is a guaranteed 7.2. Perhaps you measured it before pH settled down?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: