Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Top-waterlevel fish
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leipo
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)7:34    Post subject: Top-waterlevel fish Reply with quote

I have a 29 gallon Juwel tank and I am searching for some top-waterlevel fish.
I don't want hatchetfish since they tend to jump out of the tank (my brother had that happen in the past), so which other fish could do well in my tank?

tank:
80*35*40cm (110L or 29G)
36w of light
600l/h filter
pH 7.6
KH 8
GH 10
min. 26 degrees Celcius
max. 30 degrees Celcius (during a heatwave)

1 male Blue Ram
2 Amano shrimp
3 Corydoras sodalis
5 red phantoms
8 Cardinals
3 oto's
and lots of snails Wink

the tank is planted with lots of plants and has a weak waterflow and almost no surface-agitation (I've had some gourami's in the past).

does anyone know a colorfull fish which would do good in my tank?
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)7:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leipo, I was looking for some surface level fish as well. Since you have a South American theme going on in your tank, I hope this thread will help you out.

Cheers... mario
Leipo
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

tnx for the link.

I already knew the One-Lined Pencilfish (Nannostomus unifasciatus) since my brother has 6 of them in his tank (I should have said that).
I'd rather have the Coral-Red Pencilfish but I haven't seen them anywhere in the stores here (otherwise my problem was solved Smile ). and it seems that I am addicted to colors so I want colorfull fishes Very Happy
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leipo, I think the Coral Red Pencilfish does not stay close to the surface. They also are not a schooling fish, so they will most likely scatter all over the place. Just something to keep in mind... mario
Leipo
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm OK but I also noticed that the Pencilfishes of my brother also don't stay at the surface all the time (sometimes even at the bottem with his corydoras at the surface Very Happy ).

so what other fishes can I put into my tank (doesn't have to be a South American)?
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leipo,
In my tank I too have rams, corydoras, oto's and a shoal of phantom tetras (black)! I also have a shoal of bloodfin tetras and I find these spend a lot of the time near the surface of the water swimming up and down. I have some floating leaves from my tiger lotus which they love to group under. They are very active and make a nice contrast to the phantoms which can tend to hang in the water a bit! Their colours do not show on photographs very well but I can tell you that they shine like a rainbow when the light catches them. Cool
Follow this link for a pic http://www.aquazoo.co.uk/Page.cfm/Type=Fish/ID=197
William
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario,

I agree, Coral Red Pencilfish are not a surface fish nor schooling. Even in a well planted tank, they are edgey. They do scatter and retreat into the plants. I have 6 in a densely planted 20 gallon tank and they hide in the plants every time I approach the tank.

Best regards,

William

Mario wrote:
Leipo, I think the Coral Red Pencilfish does not stay close to the surface. They also are not a schooling fish, so they will most likely scatter all over the place. Just something to keep in mind... mario

Leipo
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)5:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I can forget about getting some new fish for a while Sad
I've got a bad case of flukes in my tank (you can see them swimming all over my tank). I thought that I was rid of them after 3 treatments with medicins but I guess I was wrong. right after I had rearranged some plants all the eggs hatched at the same time causing an explosion of tiny little white worms Sad
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leipo,
Are these worms mostly attached to the glass, plants, ornaments etc? Can you see any actually attached to your fish? I ask this because it doesn't sound to me like you have flukes, it sounds like planaria. These are as you described, tiny white worms but they are completely harmless to your fish! Very Happy If it sounds like Planaria to you all you need to do is cut back on your feeding by half, do a 15% water change every day and clean the gravel as often as you can. This should kill off all the planaria in no time. And stop adding those Meds!
Leipo
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)4:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had flukes a few weeks ago (I could see them on my fish), and now they were again scratching themselves on anything they could find in my tank (my Blue Ram injured himself in the process).

I went with a canister of my water containing the worms to my LFS and they also concluded that they were indeed flukes (and that would explain the scratching of my fish). but if they were indeed planaria they would also be killed by the medicins because this medicin could also be used in case of planaria.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: