Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What do I do with pH?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Betta4eva
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)8:09    Post subject: pH Reply with quote

hello
thanks for your reply

But how do I get it to say 7.0 and keep it that way?

Roxanne
Jeff J.
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site was very helpful for all aspects of fish-keeping, be sure to spend some time and look all around this website, it answered a LOT of my questions:

http://www.honors.montana.edu/~weif/firsttank/

As for the pH stabilizer, I just bought a chemical that is a pH stabilizer Wink

I'd love to tell you the name of the brand but I am not currenty able to access my aquarium (wait until I'm not in the office). However, it just comes in a tablet and I drop it in. It changes the pH to what the package said it would. Think its 6.8-7.0 (does great for my Black Neon Tetras). As I have seen previously stated, it is hard to keep the pH levels the same, but this chemical seems to hold it steady, I just drop in one each time I put in new water. My tetras seem to be doing very very well lately because I have stabilized the pH and temperatures (previously I was having trouble getting them to stay in one place, then I bought a heater and pH holder). One note... the pH holder puts the pH at the level it states... and it might SHOCK your water getting to that level. Do your best to merge the pH level slowly. Mine worked out OK, going from 8.4pH to 7.0, but I think it caught my fish off-guard, I wish I had used chemicals to slowly move the pH and THEN hold it there.

As I said before... getting all the levels to where is optimal for my Black Neon tetras has really increased the activity and colors of the fish, and its really not an expensive thing to do.
Betta4eva
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)8:34    Post subject: pH Reply with quote

I might try this then, some people say that it is not important what the pH is because the fish have never been in there natural pH with them being aquarium bred and others say it is important, very important!
The tablets sound good, excuse me if iam being stupid Embarassed but what sort of thing would I use to slowly move the pH down to a stable 7.0?

Thanks

Roxanne

P.s I checked out that link it was really helpful! Thanks
Jeff J.
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not as experienced personally with the pH levels of fish, I haven't had fish as long as a lot of these people. However, I have spent countless hours researching, and what I have read, as well as seen personally, leads me to believe that the fish are much more energetic and fun when their levels are optimal. They just have more personality and spunk.

As for lowering your pH slowly:

I haven't had the chance to try it, but treat the pH of water before you put it in, that way over time it slowly becomes the level of the new water as you continue doing water changes. For example, if you have a 10 gallon and you change out 2 gallons treat the two gallons first, that will lower the pH a little. Then the next week when you change 2 gallons do it again. Eventually the pH will be at the leve you wanted and put in the incoming water.

Or, my next idea, is to use the pH up and down chemicals and treat the whole tank, just be careful not to do it too fast. When its at the right level drop in stabilizers when the pH is off to keep it at the levels you wanted. The reason I don't suggest starting with the pH stabilizer is that it would drop the pH VERY FAST and stress your fish (making them prone to disease isn't nice Sad ). Maybe if you tried using partial treatments with the stabilizer it would lower the levels slowly.
Betta4eva
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)8:48    Post subject: pH Reply with quote

Embarassed
Hello Jay
I am going to sound really really stupid and I am sorry! What do I use if I want to do your first option of slowly lowering it by treating the water? I am in the UK and there is a wide range of 'Aquarium Pharmicuticals'(sp!) products here to you get them over there?
You are right I d ont want to lower it to fast and upset my fishes! Laughing

Thank you again

Roxanne
Jeff J.
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errr.... stutter stutter....

Embarassed I don't know where in the UK is the best place to buy this stuff... I'll try to remember to check the brand and package when I get back from the office later today. Embarassed
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: