Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What do I do with pH?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Betta4eva
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)4:20    Post subject: What do I do with pH? Reply with quote

Hi everyone
This is my first post so be gentle! Well I was just wondering really what do I do about my pH level? Some people say you don't need to use anything just leave the water out for a day but then others advise that you must maintain the pH at 7? When I set my aquaruim up I used Dr Wellfishs 'Proper ph7' does anyone else use this or5 is it a waste of money? Also I checked my water straight from the tap to see what pH level it was and it was really bad, really dak blue 9.0 I think But that was straight from the tap! Please an someone help me I think I am going crazy!!!

Thanks a lot
Roxanne
Choice Words
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)6:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most nearly all of the time, you do not need to adjust your pH for the following reasons:

Most fish can adjust to different levels of pH.

Having a steady pH is more important to a fish's health: changing the pH using chemicals creates a pH that swings back and forth and this is very harmful.

Most fish have been living in a (hopefully) similar pH to yours if they were at the lfs tanks

Most fish are not wild born and have never experienced the pH that is "ideal" for them.

I wouldn't use Proper pH or any other chemical additive if I could help it. The only additive your tank needs is a solution that removes chlorine and chloramines. There are exceptions for experiences aquarists looking to raise fry or have specialized fish such as discus, but they often use such natural sources as reverse osmosis water. There are natural ways to raise or lower pH gradually (driftwood, substrates, coral) but, as stated above, this is usually not necessary. Fish will usually do fine in a pH unlike their own natural one, though better color and such may be seen in the ideal water conditions.

Let your tap water sit out a day to allow chemicals in the water to disappate. Then test its pH. That will give you a much more accurate reading.
Betta4eva
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)6:59    Post subject: pH Reply with quote

Thanks for you reply!
Your advise sounds great just what I wanted to hear! So even if my tap water pH is on the high side I should just add water conditioner and leave it for a couple of days and then add it to the tank? In my start up kit I got some bottles of stuff to help there called Stress coat, Ammo lock 2 and Stress Zyme have you heard of these and would it still be okay to use these as well as the water conditioner.

Thanks for you advise it is very appreciated.

Roxanne
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)8:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll start by explaining how I change my water.

1) Remove Water
2) Set tub faucet to same temperature as tank.
3) Add recommended dosage of "Stress Coat"
This declorinates the water and adds a few other things to the water.
4) Fill 5gal bucket with water.
5) Slowly add water to tank. I use a shpyon or hook the filter (I have a canister, so I can do that).

As far as a pH 9+, I would be leary and careful what I put in that water. You may want to set some water out for 24hr's and see if the pH is any different. You will also want to check out your GH (General Hardness) as well. This will help you figure out what would do best in your water. I have a pH of 8, a little high espically for the fish I have. You may want to look at getting a water purifier and mixing 50/50 straight tap and purified.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Choice Words
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)10:36    Post subject: Re: pH Reply with quote

Betta4eva wrote:

So even if my tap water pH is on the high side I should just add water conditioner and leave it for a couple of days and then add it to the tank? In my start up kit I got some bottles of stuff to help there called Stress coat, Ammo lock 2 and Stress Zyme have you heard of these and would it still be okay to use these as well as the water conditioner.

Your tap's pH may be very different after it has set out for a day or two. It may be in a completely acceptible range after sitting out, so yes, let it sit out (covered to prevent junk in the water) and then add some dechlorinator just to be on the safe side.

Stress coat adds aloe to the water to "help" the fish's slime coat (or top layer of skin). It's not been proven to do much for a slime coat. It also is your dechlorinator, so you should use it to dechlorinate, but once you've used it all, I would look for a very basic dechlorinator like Wardley's Chlor-Out or any other dechlorinator that just dechlorinates; the rest is just fancy stuff you don't need, in my opinion.

Ammo-lock: No! Don't use this in your new, cycling tank. It will take the ammonia that your developing bacteria colony needs to grow and will make it useless to them.

Stress Zyme supposedly adds the bacteria to the tank. It has been proven to contain the wrong type of bacteria. It will do nothing benefitial for your tank.

Once again, unless you have a specific, necessary reason to change something about your tap water and you really know what you are doing, there's no reason to add anything to a tank besides dechlorinator. That means you don't have to use anything else, including all the crap they give you in a start-up kit.Smile
Betta4eva
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)2:11    Post subject: pH Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replys Very Happy

I will try leaving the water out for a couple of days and then test it see if it makes any difference!

Once I have the results I will post them.

Thanks again

Roxanne
kdjoergensen
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)6:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it will be different, or maybe it will not...
our tap water comes out with pH of 6.9 and in the tank the pH is 7.0-7.1

We have not noted any difference leaving the water. If you happended to have a high pH water of 9+ I WOULD probably use properPH or similar to adjust the pH value.

However, before doing this, why don't you retest.. sometimes these drops can be hard to get right and retesting the water is always recommended..

9+ sounds awfully high even for fish which prefer hard water (and thus by extention accepts high pH values). For most fish, and especially if you want to keep tetras, etc I would probably make sure that the water I add to the aquarium was not pH of 9+
Betta4eva
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)7:01    Post subject: pH Reply with quote

Hi
I did use proper pH 7.0 when I first set up the tank but I really don't want to use many chemicals in the water! I think I will re-test tonight maybe I was wrong (hopefully)! Laughing

I will post test results tomorrow
Thanks for your help

Roxanne
Jeff J.
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)7:50    Post subject: Like your fish? Reply with quote

If you spent time like I did to pick out just the right fish, then you will want to give the proper pH for your fish! Cool Here's a trick I use... if you don't want to have many chemical shocks for your fish just treat all incoming water so that the levels remain the same... for me, I let new water sit in jugs for a few days before adding it to the tank, then when I siphon out old and input new water I treat the whole tank.

Idea For optimal fish coloring and activity keep the water/chemicals at proper levels!!! Its not very expensive if you buy chemicals in the big quantities and its best for your fish! I have noticed my fish are much more active and happy when they have the exact right temperature, hardness, and pH, even if it is a nightmare and time-consuming to get the levels right. Once you have the levels, its EASY to maintain -- taking a mere few minutes a day!! Razz Idea
Betta4eva
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)8:08    Post subject: pH Reply with quote

hello
thanks for your reply

But how do I get it to say 7.0 and keep it that way?

Roxanne
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: