Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
electric yellows Breeding?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
actionman
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)0:45    Post subject: electric yellows Breeding? Reply with quote

Is it strange for electric yellows to breed at a size of 4-5 cm in length? I'm not sure if one of my females is carrying eggs or not her throat has a buldge in it and shes not eating and the male and herself were doing their little dance under a rock, so the signs point to yes. Also I have a 15 litre tank would that be sufficient enough for the fry if they do successfully breed. If not is there a way I can raise them in my tank without them getting eaten by the other cichlids.

thanks in advance.
Alex
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

My females spawned at 7-8 cm.

Alex
blueberry
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm asking here because you have had success with electric yellows. Is it true they cannot have any black on the bottom fins to be female? I keep buying all yellow bottomed fish only to have black develope after a few weeks. Can you shed some light on this?
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no obvious color difference between males and females, but males may show more black on the ventral fins. Mature males may also show a brownish patch on the face.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you may notice that once group of Labs have more or less of this or that coloration I've found that venting is the only sure way to sex Electric Yellows.

Alex
bohica
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)19:45    Post subject: Re: electric yellows Breeding? Reply with quote

actionman wrote:
Is it strange for electric yellows to breed at a size of 4-5 cm in length? I'm not sure if one of my females is carrying eggs or not her throat has a buldge in it and shes not eating and the male and herself were doing their little dance under a rock, so the signs point to yes. Also I have a 15 litre tank would that be sufficient enough for the fry if they do successfully breed. If not is there a way I can raise them in my tank without them getting eaten by the other cichlids.

thanks in advance.

Breeding at such a size while not common is not un-heard of. I would personally rather have a list of tankmates before answering your query concerning the fry on the menu. Typically though mouthbrooders will hold the fry for a signifigant period of time and watch them quite well should trouble arise.

Bo
actionman
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my tank there are 3,3-4inch red top zebras 1(m) 2(f), 6 electric blues 2(m) 4(f) ranging from 1-3inches and 4 electric yellows 1(m) for sure and I think the rest are female they are all around an inch in lenght. The size of the tank is 4 foot around 200 litres. For the reference on the colouring of the female yellows I would have to agree with the previous statements there is no real difference except for the fins.All of my males fins are black except for the tail fin ofcourse. It is hard to tell when they are juvinille until they are established within the aquarium and show some sort of dominance within there own species. I have heard that some people sex cichlids by checking the two holes near the anal fin. If there is a larger one and a smaller one it is female, if they are the same size it is a male.I'm not sure if this is true or not just trying to give you some info hope I've helped.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: