Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Reef in a 20 long.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chriscrob
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.10(Sun)20:34    Post subject: Reef in a 20 long. Reply with quote

I am going to try to set up a reef in my 20g long tank. I have three ballasts all designed to run 2 48 inch NO bulbs. I am going to build my own hood and try to fit 6 24 inch 20 watt NO bulbs in it. Has anyone else tried to get this many bulbs in a 12 inch wide tank. I could use T-8 bulbs if I had to to make it fit. I am going to put a flame angel, a large turbo snail and a six line wrasse in the tank. I was wondering what type of corals would be work and what bulbs should I use? I would also like to put a few hermits, maybe an emerald crab, and a shrimp of some sort in. I'm not sure the type of protein skimmer I'll be using, I got it from a friend for free and its not labeled, but it uses a rio 600 pump. I thought with 20 lbs or so of live rock I could do the berlin thing, or maybe add a power filter,I have biowheel 125 that I could use . If possible I would like to add a small goby, green chromis, or maybe a pair of one of the smaller clowns eventually, would this create too large a bioload for the tank? Do you see any problems with this setup? Thanks for your help.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the tanks 48" long? just run 2x55watt pcs. in the long run it would be cheaper just to buy a duel 55watt pc ballast and use that to light your 20g long I mean 24" no bulbs go for about $22 american. times that by 6 and you get about $132 plus tax! so as you can see its cheaper in the long run just to get 2 55watt pcs.
2 winged demons
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 gallon tanks are 30 L X 12 W X 12 H

JBJ lighting makes a nice 2 X 65 Watt PC fixture for them
Metz
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO lighting should be fine as long as you get the proper wattage and color spectrum, plus if you are using a lot of tubes heat will also be an issue, so make room for a couple of fans. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT put a flame angel in a 20 gallon tank, it needs more room then that. if you have your heart set on an agel get a cherub, or atlantic pygmy angel. the are a nice purple/blue color with a yellow head. they stay small, but make sure it is that last fish you add to the tank.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)9:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

With it being a 20 long I would at least go with pc lighting. Good beginner corals are leathers, polyps, and mushrooms and would do great with pc lighting.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: