Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Gourami Q.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.09(Sat)17:09    Post subject: Gourami Q. Reply with quote

I have a 10 gallon planted tank with 3 plants rights now (in process) and has a fluorite substrate. I want a school or Neons and or Black Neons (eighther 10 or 12 neons or black neons or 7 of each) I would also like to have a center peice fish. I was thinking of a dwarf gourami but I hear they do better in a pair. Bettas are too sluggish and common. I would like a neon blue dwarf gourami or a honey gourami and maybe one school of tetras too fill the space. Comments and all are good. Thanks
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.09(Sat)19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

A school of neons and one powder blue dwarf gourami will look great in a 10g. You'll be pretty much maxed out, but you can also fit in some kuhli loaches or some pygmy cories and a pair of otos with regular weekly waterchanges. Black neons do get much larger than regular ones, so I would go with:

10neons
1 powder blue dwarf gourami (or a regular one)
3-4 pygmy cories or kuhli loaches
2 otos

HTH
adamprice271
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.09(Sat)23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may try that. From what I've read black neons are supposed to get the same size as a regular neopn, plus I really like the colors. Oh well, maybe I'll get 8 or so and put them in my 55 which is next to the 10. Thanks Huntress.
poorboy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.17(Sun)19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

My neon blue dwarf gouramis (3 of them) are full of attitude. Smile I would almost swear they were cichlids. Razz It's funny to watch them swim around the tank and feel things up with their feelers. Smile

I have three neon blue dwarf gouramis and 8 neon tetras in a 20g tank.. they all get along.
EvaDawn
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.17(Sun)23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general rule it is not a good idea to mix labryinth fish such as the gourami. For some reason or another most labryinth fish are agressive towards one another. There may be an exception to this rule, but gouramis (other than sparking? I don't know anything about them but I've heard they do well in pairs) will not do well together.

Huntress' suggestion of a powder blue gourami, and the neons is a stunning setup with the blues. Smile
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: