Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
please help id a snail
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashleighscott
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.09(Sat)16:49    Post subject: please help id a snail Reply with quote

I have a picture but it won't let me post it so I'll try to describe the snail. It is small about 1/2 inch long. Its shell appears to be thin and almost transparent, slighty rounded at the opening but cone shaped (pointed) at the end. It has some spots and a dark blotch on its shell which although almost see through has a light brownish tint. The actual snail has a white body. It seems to reproduce quickly cause I only noticed one yesterday and found three this morning. Also they are quite active and move pretty fast. Every time I turn around they are on opposites sides of the tank from where they were just a moment before. Thats about the best description I can give, I hope someone knows of a snail like this. I did look all over the net trying to id it myself but couldn't find an exact match. It is not a trumpet snail, apple snail, mystery snail, or pond snail. (I don't think) All the pictures of those were too large, too dark colored, different shape, etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong though. Thanks.
gunrunner
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.09(Sat)17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ashleigh,

I'm not sure what your snails are , but if you see them as a bit of a pest , a good natural way of disposing of them is to put a lettuce leaf in over night , and remove it in the morning ( before it gets light , other wise they will just do a runner . Hope this helps Wink

Gun.
ellisdtrails
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a Malaysian trumpet snail which will breed like crazy. These are actually good if you have a planted tank. But if there becomes to many which can be seen at night especialy. You can either phisicaly take them out or buy something that eats them. I own dwarf puffers which love them, Clown Loaches and other types of loaches like them aswell.
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)9:16    Post subject: Re: please help id a snail Reply with quote

ashleighscott wrote:
I have a picture but it won't let me post it so I'll try to describe the snail.
A picture is worth a thousand words, feel free to email it to me and I can try to get it to post for you...
tdlay3@aol.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ashleighscott
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank Tommy...I emailed the picture. Thanks for all the advice. The snails aren't a nuisance (yet) and they are actually helping out by cleaning up some algae that I hadn't yet figured out how to get rid of. So as long as they don't destroy my plants we'll be okay. When they start wildly populating I'll just remove as many as I can. Does anybody like/want these or are they considered pests?
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome. Here is your picture. I believe that this is your common pond snail. While most consider them a pest, they can be a great food source for certain fish like puffers or some loaches...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: