Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
really new here, just looking for some encouragement/advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbeethree
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.09(Sat)13:23    Post subject: really new here, just looking for some encouragement/advice Reply with quote

okay.

first of all, Hi everyone!

now for the nitty gritty:

I have had a tank for all of one glorious week.

stats: 29G, 30x18x14, Aquaclear610, 300W heater, one lumpy "rock" thingy, one broad leafed plant, several small leafed plants, one fake plant. my water is coming in around 7.4pH, KH&GH are both about 4
SuperDave9x19
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.09(Sat)16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too signed up today.

I believe you probably should have let your tank sit unoccupied for a bit after throwing some food in to start the Nitrogen Cycle.

Although the fish you have are excellently robust fish that are typically used to start a cycling process, perhaps a little wait would be in order.

Don't give up.

To recover, keep the fish you have and, god forbid, over feed them a bit so the waste starts up the bacteriological processes.

Good Luck.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.09(Sat)20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. To understand why your fish are dying, what Dave's talking about when he mentions Nitrogen Cycle, and why you shouldn't have added the Danios today, I strongly suggest you read the article below:

http://www.aquahobby.com/tips/ciclo.html
jbeethree
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)5:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, so I was dumb...so I went out and bought 7 Zebra danios. however, it actually seems to be working out quite well. apart from one of them pulling a Nemo and swimming INTO the filter (I have a jury rigged filter intake cover on my aquaclear 610 if you know of any good ideas about a 'real' one I'm all ears). my ammonia levels are near zero, my nitrites are zooming (my stupid 'complete' test kit didn't come with a nitrate test...necessary, no?) and the fish appear to be happy, except for one danio who seems to be chasing all the others around like mad, mostly in the morning, but he seems really aggressive, and he's developing a set of whiskers...normal?

paranoid and unaware of the norm,

J
Choice Words
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the ammonia is lowering and the nitrites are spiking, you're reaching the midpoint of the cycle. If you have any questions about the cycle at all, please ask. When it's done, your ammonia and nitrite should be absolutely 0. (btw, .5 ammonia is a lot of ammonia--.1 ammonia is dangerous)
jbeethree
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, I just got home from work and did some tests...

ammonia=0 (or maybe just above...but essentially negligible)
pH= 7.4
nitrites=somewhere between2 and 5 ppm(looks closer to 2)

is this acceptable?
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until those Nirites are zero, it's not really "accepable". Your still cycling, sounds like your close to the end. As far as a Nitrate test, it's not an issue until you want to do plants. Just make sure your keeping up on your water changes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Choice Words
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irons,

I think nitrate tests are also useful for checking how adequate your maintenence schedule is. If you do a 20% water change every week, but your nitrates are making it over 50, you know you need to do more/more often.Smile
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ChoiceWords, just a note of caution. Nitrate is not always the best indicator for maintenance. While it's true that high Nitrate levels mean that you should probably change your water, low Nitrate levels are NOT sufficient to determine that you don't need to change your water. In heavily planted tanks, Nitrate levels are often zero. Many aquatic gardeners actually add back Nitrates in the from of KNO3 back to the tank as plant fertilizer. Still, the tanks benefit from regular water changes.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)15:02    Post subject: water changes Reply with quote

It is OK to do water changes during the cycle, it will help the fish. Be sure to dechlorinate or treat for chloramines, whichever you have, and match temperatures.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: