Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
KH pH Tiger barbs....
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlody
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it really necessary to have about 3 watts per gallon? I was thinking of buying this strip light... http://aquarium-supply.biz/ordering/lighting_AqualightFRESH_pc.html If anyone knows any better hoods or better value please advise. thanks for being patient with me.
mlody
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and I live in the US in Illinois, and I have a 25 gallon tank that stretches 24 inches in length
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)4:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlody,
It is not necessary to have 3 watts per gallon for a freshwater planted tank, 2 watts per gallon is considered average lighting. On the $60.50 single strip you are looking at 2.6 watts per gallon which will give you good plant growth and allow you to grow a variety of species. As you boost light up higher you need to think about injected CO2, fertiliser suppliments etc etc to prevent algae from taking off. In other words a high light tank usually means high maintenance as well!
The set up you are looking at is what is called a power compact fluorescent. These are more expensive than 'normal' fluorescent set ups that use straight tubes. I am not very familiar with power compact systems but perhaps someone else can help you out there. What I would say is that if you are prepared to spend the $60 you will have plenty of light intensity (but not too much) for good plant growth with this setup. Smile
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: