Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Non-brandname MH bulbs
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.J. Shabadoo Jr
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.08(Fri)13:16    Post subject: Non-brandname MH bulbs Reply with quote

Could I use non brandname, MH bulbs made by say, Phillips, or GE, etc.?
What I mean to say is that there wouldn';t be any drawbacks right?
I have a 70 gal, that's 48x18x18, and I'd probably need two MH bulbs. A wholse saler can sell my MH bulbs at a fraction of the cost of a German bulb I can find at the LFS, its rated at 6500K and would last about 7500hrs. I plan using 175 W bulbs.

I'm thinking that in theory, if I suplemented two of these cheap MH bulbs, with two NO actinics, I would be fine. I'd have to worry about a faster spectral change in the chaep MH bulbs of course, but I'm hoping actinics would help counteract it.

I would like to have some SPS's and Anemones, some day.

Can anyone forsee any problems at the moment, or that I might encounter, with this plan?

Thanks.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't know if its any different but my pc ballast is a GE brand and I've had no problems with it at all. So I would say try it.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: