Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Heat wave and a hot tank - advice please!
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minky
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.08(Fri)3:03    Post subject: Heat wave and a hot tank - advice please! Reply with quote

There is a heat wave on in ht eUK and I've noticed the temperature creeping up in my tank.

I have a couple of jugs of water aging at the water - should I put them in the fridge first before I do a partial water change?
Type-R
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.08(Fri)6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Minky,
I too am in this heatwave, two seperate thermometers in my garden hit 98 in the shade on Wednesday Shocked
I would be very careful about pouring very cold water straight into your tank, it is likely to cause a 'cold spot' in the water and could shock your fish if it contacts them. When I got in from work my tank water was at 91 which is 32.7 degrees C! Now that is serious! What I did and what I would recommend you do is to put say 4 ice cubes into a freezer food bag, tie it up and then put it in front of your filter return flow or powerhead flow. This should allow a gradual reduction in temperature of the water without causing a sudden 'cold spot'.
gunrunner
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.08(Fri)7:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ,

What I normally do is just tilt a fan up on top of the tank so that it is fanning the water . It works a treat for me , although I understand that some tanks would be difficult with the various types of lids . I have a rena tank which has a three lid setup . I did used to use the ice cube method , but I found that it takes the temp down for a while but goes back up again Sad
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.08(Fri)7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minky, check out this thread. We discussed safe ways to reduce the water temperature in quite some detail. Hope some of the suggestions help... mario
Jeff J.
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.08(Fri)7:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for linking us to that other thread, Mario. I have been worrying about my tank heat as well because I am moving soon and the room where I am putting the tank I think is going to be much hotter.
minky
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.08(Fri)10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for you advice people and thanks for the link Mario.

I can't really blow a fan across the top - I have a biorb , see www.reef-one.com; nor can I fit anything into the filter. Tempting to chuck ice in but fortunately I read that link Mario!

I'm going to turn the light off and lift the lid off - I'll put some sort of makeshift grating to stop any fish jumping out and just hope for the best.
Froggity
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)7:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering.....
Has anyone actually seen any ill effects from the temperature climbing in their tank, if so how high did it go and what fish did it affect?
I'm also from the UK and my tanks so far have only risen to around 30C and I havent seen any problems arise from it, even my bristlenose fry tank is still doing OK.

p.s. sorry for butting in Minky, it just seemed a good place to ask the question
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: