Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What happened?!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.07(Thu)10:24    Post subject: What happened?! Reply with quote

*Sigh*. It's a sad day today for me. I wake up to find my fish doing poorly, so I change 25% of the water in an attempt to boast water quality. That, however, was in vain. Another 8 hours pass and my fish have died! Crying or Very sad . I don't understand how this has happened Mad .
It's a 20g long tank. It has 6 black neon tetras, 6 silver tip tetras, 5 pearl danios, 3 bronze cories, 3 ottos. The tanks gets weekly 25% water changes and bi-weekly gravel cleaning and glass scrubbing. The Fluval 2plus gets cleaned every 2weeks. My water quality has been fine. THough the plants began to go brown, and a couple fish showed signs of ill health: loss of bouancy and sweeling of stomach.
What has happened? The heat wave here in the UK has changed my water from 25C to 30C in a few days, but this alone won't kill all my fish will it?! *Sigh*, I'm just so confused. Ammonia and nitrites rose suddenly in a couple days, not sure why though. My J.moss has collected a lot of debris, and there is a heck of a lot of debris around the tank now that I have cleaned the filter again. Perhaps my filter is not suficient or blocked? Please can I have some help, so that I know what is wrong before I begin to try to revive some of the fish( Sad ) or Crying or Very sad take the tank down.
All the fish are on the bottom, on the side. The were struggling to breathe before the died. After all the work I put into getting the tank healthy and very clean (for those who remember the problem I had through personal health), this is a huge disappointment.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.07(Thu)10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat killed plants, plants rotted causing debris, and ammonia spike, ammonia poisined fish. Your tank self destructed.

In a brutal heat wave you need to be ruthless with dead leaves. Anyything dead should be removed from the tank.

Do so now, remove 50% of the water per day until ammonia and nitrate read 0, if plants continue to die, get rid of them completely. You can always replace them later.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.07(Thu)11:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick reply, I shall do that right now! Very Happy . bye bye.

P.S. some of my fish are still alive! Very Happy Smile
kdjoergensen
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.08(Fri)10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe what happened was the higher temperatures resulted in loss of oxygen in the water (aka difficult breathing).. I bet you your pH is above 7.0 ?

The blocking filter probably resulted in a partial dieback of your biological filter which further aggrivated the fish death

30 deg C (86 deg F) seems to be the absolut upper limit of the tolorance of most tropical fresh water fish. If this happend in a very short time it is not impossible that the fish were stressed and if further exposed to low oxygen and increasing nitrite and ammonia it was too much for them..
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.08(Fri)10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, heres an update:
So far I have lost 4 fish. This is a huge relief, as I thought they had all died. Just before I scoped them out, I noticed each one breathing. Unfortunately, not all recovered, resulting in the death of 2 silver tip tetras, a pearl danio and black neon. The living fish have all lost their colour and gasping at the surface. All plants have been removed (all were dead anyway) and the bogwood has gone too, due to trapping of dead plant matter. This leaves an open space tank, so I can keep an eye on the fish. I have made a small cave for the fish to hide if they wish.
the temperature got to a staggering 32C. The filter is a terrible mess with dead plant debris. The water is very dirty, with particles everywhere, and amost of the fish are gasping at the surface.
I am doing daily water changes for a while, and frequent cleaning of the filter. For oxygen, I may buy an air pump to try to add extra oxygen to the water.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep you posted.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.08(Fri)18:50    Post subject: Testing? Reply with quote

Are you testing for ammonia and nitrite? have you checked with the water company to see if they have altered water treatments?
Kate
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.08(Fri)20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe to keep the water cool you can freeze a small plastic container filled with water and let it set in tank but keep eye on temps?
Trill the man
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.09(Sat)5:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking of ringing up the water company to see if they have changed anything, but I don't remember hearing anything about it. Yes I am checking for ammonia and nitrites. They are steadily dropping, and fish health is improving, colours returning. Thank you for the help.

Phil Wink
T
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have anything oxygenating the water aside from your filter?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: