Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Disease or what???
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mat
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.07(Thu)7:46    Post subject: Disease or what??? Reply with quote

I have 4 Albino Corydoras and 3 Honey Gouramis. One of my Albinos (Bob) had a big belly for a few days. Bob didn
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.07(Thu)8:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Bob still have a big belly?

"suddenly shocked (ex. when some one taps the tank glass or when you drop something heavy near the take and all your fished would get shocked) then is would swim/scratch its self in a leaf a few times."

I think you mean the fish is darting in mid water and then flashes against objects in the tank. The Gourami is very irritated by something about the water.
The water you are using, do you add a water conditioner that does all three of the following (read the labels)
De-toxify or lock chlorine
De-toxify Chloramine
De-toxify Heavy Metals?

I think your fish is stressed from water contaminants.
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
Mat
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.07(Thu)8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I use a water conditioner but I only use the dosage for getting rid of chlorine. I 'll use the right dosage then.

Thnx
Mat
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.10(Sun)16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been a few days now and my honey gouramis are still stressed. I added the proper amount of conditioner to De-toxify or lock chlorine, De-toxify Chloramines, De-toxify Heavy Metals. I used the Aqua plus to condition my water.
Should I put more conditioner in the water? Sad
Mat
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.10(Sun)17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAMN!!! Mad
I just found Bob floating 3 min ago.
DAMN!!! Mad

Sad
T
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered lowering your pH?? Both the corys and the gouramis can probably live in 7.8 but they would probably be happiest with a number right at 7.

Still, the problem is most likely some sort of infection (or parasites), I'm not sure what kind...

Keep the forum informed about any updates and maybe someone will recognize it.
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.14(Thu)10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mess with the pH. 7.8 is just fine for the fish you have. Any meddling (in particular using phosphate buffers) will just complicate things for you.
Mat
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)7:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,
I found "Bob" floating on Sunday, so I placed him in a small jar ( he was still moving) the next morning he was swimming okay. I placed him back in to the tank. Bob finally gave up on Wednesday Morning (he stopped moving). Crying or Very sad

I searched the info in this Forum and I think Bob might have had a swim Bladder disease or traumatized.

My Honey Gouramis are still having the same problem. A few of their scales are turning in to a darker color than normal ( like the ones on their heads, but only four or five scales ).

I'll be replacing 50% of the water today or tomorrow. I REALLY don
Mat
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read through the info in the "Announcement: Illustrated Guide to Diseases and FAQ" post and I found a few behaviors my honey gouramis are having.

They hang around the top of the tank when its nighttime (when the lights are off). They seem normal during the day except when they would dart suddenly and scratch them selves on a leaf. I noticed that their dorsal fins would start to twitch (expand and contract) then they would dart around then scratch them selves. The Gouramis eat normally. I feed them 3 times a day. And a few of the scales on the fish right above the head have turned into darker color and its been the same for two weeks now.

I have 12 Cardinals and they look good so far. I haven
Choice Words
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.17(Sun)8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

My honey gouramis also prefer to stay at the top of the tank during the night. They do also dart around once in a while. I haven't seen it as an extreme action, so I don't think mine have any disease. I think they just like to do it1
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: