Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Is an Aquaclear 500 and a Penguin Bio-wheel enuf for a 40
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frosstman
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.07(Thu)6:20    Post subject: Is an Aquaclear 500 and a Penguin Bio-wheel enuf for a 40 Reply with quote

Hi, I have an AquaClear 500 and a Penguin Bio-wheel 170 on a 40 gallon enough filtration for a 40 gallon tank? Also will this provide enough water movement for live rock? I have read in a few posts that the bio-whhel should be removed from the Penguin for marine tanks. Why? Thanks.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.07(Thu)19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

remove the bio wheel because its a little nitrate factory. that what I got when I asked the same question.
2 winged demons
tigerstyle102
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.12.30(Tue)15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other opinions on removing the bio-wheel from the penguin?
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.12.30(Tue)16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Leave it on if your tank is not heavily planted. Not only does it remove ammonia and nitrite efficiently from the water, it also helps to introduce oxygen and CO2 (if you are not injecting CO2) into your water.

SLACKra wrote:
remove the bio wheel because its a little nitrate factory. that what I got when I asked the same question.

The purpose of a biological filter is to be "a little nitrate factory". The biological filter converts toxic nitrite and extremely toxic ammonia to the relatively harmless nitrate. The excess nitrate is easily removed by water changes (or plant uptake).
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.01.02(Fri)9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biowheel processes the nitrogen cycle a little differently than the biological system in a salt tank. Most salt tanks do not get as heavy of water changes than their fresh counter part nor do they usually contain plants or macro algaes. This allows nitrates to build up easily. Which can assist or trigger an algae bloom. There are methods of removing nitrates, water changes, refuigims, macro algaes in the tank, etc. From what I understand, there are anerobic places in the live rock and substrate, places that don't see a lot of water movement or oxygen. They can completely break down the ammonia to nitrogen gas, skipping the nitrates in the water.

*Disclaimer. Take this as a grain of salt. I have not keep a salt tank yet. This is what I've picked up from reading and researching. You'll want to do your own research and check with experts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2004.01.21(Wed)9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be enough filtration for a 40. I have an emporer on a 75 and have removed the bio whells they do affect salt a little differently but the filter is still good. You would want a maby 2 power heads also. You want current comming from more then one direction especieally if corals are going to be planned. The rock itself does not need current flow but good current helps keep the rock clean.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: