Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
thinking of putting another apple snail into my oscar tank
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prowlus
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.06(Wed)14:33    Post subject: thinking of putting another apple snail into my oscar tank Reply with quote

I've already got one apple snail (golfball sized) in my rio whoes been crawling around there for months without Nermal the oscar or even the synodontis giving it a second glance and I feel he/she is a bit lonely . Is it OK to put a 2nd apple snail into the tank? btw the snail has been in the tank longer than the 8-10 inch oscar
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.06(Wed)16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that you are having success raising an apple snail with your Oscar, probably answers your question better than any of us could. The simple fact is that it isn't supposed to work. American cichlids love to eat snails. In fact it is thought that the teeth in the back of their throat (sorry, the sci name escapes me) is designed to crush snail shells. At the very least, I wouldn't put one in unless it were about as large as your other...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Prowlus
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update I've actually got 2 more apple snails for my tank . I initially wanted 1 in the small comunity tank and the 2nd one in the large oscar tank . The 2nd one faired very well in the Oscar tank as Nermal(oscar) didn't even blink (if cichlids could) at it and it now has paired up with my original apple snail However the one that I put in the small comunity tank was so harassed pretty severely by my trio of clown loaches which are even smaller than my snail so I had to fish him out and drop him into the oscar tank too . Now the 3 of them are living it up despite the fact the fact they are being shadowed by a large oscar
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: