Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Marble angel chasing black angel when I'm not around... ?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AngelFishy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.05(Tue)12:03    Post subject: Marble angel chasing black angel when I'm not around... ? Reply with quote

Okay, here's the deal: I have a 29 gallon community tank with several species of fish in it, including a black veil angel and a silver/black/white marble angel. The black is about four inches tall, while the marble is about five to six inches tall. When I'm watching them, they get along together perfectly. I also watch when their eating. They both eat together fine, except for the fact that, when I put several sinking shrimp pellets in the corner of the tank, the marble sometimes chases the black away from them and eats them for himself. They both swim together and they both hang out together in the same side of the aquarium. But I've witnessed the marble chasing the black for a couple feet in the tank sometimes, when they don't know I'm watching (I.e., when I'm sitting a few yards away on my bed). The most spectacular case was a couple nights ago. The bedroom light was still on, but the aquarium light was off. I could see them clearly from the bed, though. I saw the marble chasing the black at a high speed, all over the tank, chasing her laps around the tank several times. He wouldn't stop. He nipped at her a couple times, and the black looked terrified. I couldn't stand watching the black's terror, so I walked over to the tank. The marble saw me and instantly stopped, for the marble didn't know I was watching him/her (I think it's a he) before. For some reason, the marble doesn't chase the black when he knows I'm watching. As for the chasing factor, why is the marble doing this? Is he just establishing his superiority? He hasn't harmed the black or wounded the black at all, just chased her (I really have no idea of their sex. I just like to think of the black as a her, since she's so pretty) and gave her a couple nips, but not enough to hurt her. I don't understand why he would tire her out by chasing her many laps around the tank. Why is this?

thanks,
AngelFishy
AngelFishy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.07(Thu)19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello? Does anybody know??? Confused
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.07(Thu)20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I really don't do angels, but since no-one else is answering...Cichlids in general (can't speak for angels) can have a tendency to become very agressive after the lights go off. I have found that this is the time when agressive males will exert their dominance over tankmates.

That being said, there is no way to really know exactly what is up with your fish. Most likely scenario is that you have two males and one is determined to establish dominance over the other. A 29g is a high tank and good for the fin shape of an angel, but there really isn't much room to swim away far enough for the agressor to give up the chase. What I would recommend is that you take out one or the other and return it as soon as possible. Angelfish are easily stressed and a desease is sure to follow if one fish is being bullied...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.07(Thu)20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to Tommy. Having 2 angels in a 29g is fine when you have a mated pair, but if they are not, then you just don't have enough territory to sustain both angels.
AngelFishy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.08(Fri)12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm... that's wierd, because the marble hasn't bitten the black once. He also doesn't bother the other fish in there. They swim together fine when I'm watching them, even when the lights are off. Confused And I'm pretty sure the black is a female... don't male angels have a bigger hump on their forehead than females? The marble has a hump, and the black doesn't...
SherryNE
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.08(Fri)12:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't really sex angels until you actually see them breeding. Some people believe the "hump" is a useful tool, but really, it's just a guessing game until you actually see them lay eggs.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.08(Fri)13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had stated in your first post that the marble had indeed nipped at the black one and in your second post you said the marble hasn't bitten the black one once. We have some conflicting info here that needs to be clarified.

Personally unless they are a proven breeding pair then the 29 isn't big enough, period. The dominant one will harrass the other one mercilessly, but that's just my experience here with angels.
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.08(Fri)13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, I'd bet a shiney quarter that what you're describing as "when they know I'm there" behavior is begging. The marble could quite possibly harassing the black all day long, but the minute you come into view the begging takes priority and the chasing stops.

In rare situations I've had pairs of angelfish that have shown zero aggressive but never shown breeding behavior either. However, since there are two, the chance that there is one dominant that harasses the weaker is very likely to happen (and can happen even with a mated pair.)

My advice would be to watch the black one. If the chasing is constant he/she will be stressed out and her health will start failing. This could be lack of appetite or any disease that is triggered by stress. If you think her quality of life is less because of the other fish, I would recommend you talking to a local fish store and seeing if you can trade the two larger ones in for a group of 5 juveniles. See if you can't get a peaceful group out of the 5 and trade back-in the extras. Given the right fish and few or no other tankmates, you could balance three angelfish in a 29 gallon tank...you'd just have to watch the water quality as when they're full grown that's a lot of fish for that tank.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, all.

Huntress, what I meant when I said he hasn't nipped the black is that he hasn't nipped the black enough to actually injure her/him. He's nipped the black, but it doesn't amount to much on her/his case. I hope that clarified it a little.

Cyradia, I will watch the black. Right now, she/he is in perfect health. Eat's fine. Fins are perfect; no nips, notches, or fraying of the fins at all. Not stressed at all. No disease, and never had any disease. Basically, all seems well right now.

Thanks,
AngelFishy
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: