Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
dwarf puffer tankmates?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kojin
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.08(Fri)0:27    Post subject: 10gal Reply with quote

From my experience with dwarf puffers, if your 10 gallon tank is medium to heavily planted, you can have up to 6 dwarf puffers in a 10 gallon and each would stake out their territory. If, however, your 10 gal is barren, then 4 dwarf puffers is probably maxing it out. As they do need territory and sometimes, when one dwarf puffer starts chasing a weaker one, the weaker one needs to find some plants to hide behind.
ellisdtrails
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.10(Sun)23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres also the gender issue. About this time year they want to breed. So what you'll want to do is keep one or two males with three or four females initialy. Then if they are in spawning atleast, you'll be able to tell which male to keep in with the females. Oh ya, the males will have a dark line down the middle of the belly and are generaly easy to destinguish from the females because they will be the ones fighting (sometimes seriously,therefore the seperation).
T
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do your dwarf puffers like their current? I'm considering adding a pair of them to my little quarantine tank (quarantine no more!) with a single bulldog pleco (chaetostoma thomsoni).

Fairly cool water (25 C), neutral pH, medium-strong current.

The bulldog is fairly peaceful but blindingly fast when disturbed, I think in terms of temperament it will get on well with puffers. (Reclusive AND fast AND insanely tough)
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choice Words wrote:
You currently have three puffers in your 10gal and you want to add some more? My own personal opinion would be to not do that. They need territory.

I dunno Choice, I'm with Shawna on this one and would recommend adding more dwarf puffers as well. It'd be great to give fish their own, natural-sized territories, but in a tank this is rarely possible (in any set-up...this one included.) In a situation like this, if the puffers are feeling territorial, a trio of puffers is volatile and will probably thin itself out to 1 puffer. By adding more, you'll spread out any aggression and actually make the fish give up on their attempt to keep territories. This situation is nice because the fish are so small that bioload problems don't limit the fishkeeper from using this technique.
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ta me peadrig, I would highly rcomend these little guys to any tank where they can get along with the other fish. The current will not be an issue. But there are some things to consider, they will if they can catch it eat or atleast nip the fins of particularly non-agressive fish. I think the pleco will be fine. Infact you might find the pleco beating up the puffers by charging them or at night the puffers will sometimes just lay on the bottom and the pleco will just run over them. That is why I have seperated my pleco from my puffer tank. Anyways you should add aquarium salt for freshwater fish in at varying levels between water changes. I vary my tanks salt content by adding salt one week after a water change so that there is one teaspoon for every 6 or 7 gallons of water, then the next week do a 30-40% water change w/o adding salt. I would definitly encourage as many plants as possible also. But like I said highly recomended, great pesonalities as far as fish go. My favorite one will be right in front of the glass and just stare at me just like this Shocked all day. (I couldn't have drawn a better resemblance,thats funny)
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.13(Wed)23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Anyways you should add aquarium salt for freshwater fish in at varying levels between water changes."

I've yet to see a valid reason why salt is needed for various freshwater fish. And I don't think dwarf malabar puffers require salt in their water---and salt will make growing plants a bit more difficult.

My dwarf puffer was never on the gravel...when he slept, it was curled up (how adorable!) in a plant leaf.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ellisdtrails
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, these fish are a lot of the time listed as freshwater,and yes they will survive in strictly freshwater.But they are truely a brackish fish. they live wildly in inlets to the Indian ocean which has varying levels of salt in it. Like a few other species of puffers they are gradually weaned to strictly freshwater before they are shipped to the you.S..
T
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've resigned myself to getting a pair (hard decision because they're not south american, unlike everything else I have) I might post when they come in. Unfortunately I'm in Ottawa and they've declared a state of emergency so all the non-essential stores (fish) will be closed until probably monday.
Taratron
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with keeping these guys in brackish water, but that's just me.

If you do choose to do the brackish route, remember to use MARINE salt. The other salt, "aquarium salt," doesn't do squat for brackish water settings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boys keep a dwarf puffer tank and it's a really cute tank! I must admit with many fish I prefer species tanks, but when it comes to fish like puffers I wouldn't consider adding other fish unless I knew the fish could handle fin nipping (and I hate the looks of chewed up fins) but a small pleco probably could work. Though, my first choice would be to add another dwarf puffer or two.

Many puffers are found in brackish water, but dwarf puffers isn't one of them, they are true fresh water fish found in inland waters. I'm sure they can tolerate salt but they don't require it. There isn't an ongoing debate (that I'm aware of) regarding these puffers like there is with figure 8 puffers.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: