Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
dwarf puffer tankmates?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elegy
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.05(Tue)5:23    Post subject: dwarf puffer tankmates? Reply with quote

I gave up on my search for a figure-8 puffer and settled for three dwarf puffers who are now the sole inhabitant of my 10 gallon tank.

is there anything I can put in there with them? I know they tend to be nippy, but the tank looks so empty!

I was thinking something like tiger barbs?
Choice Words
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.05(Tue)7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger barbs need to be in a larger group themselves. There's nothing you can really add without overstocking your tank. Three puffers is even perhaps overdoing it. You'll have to watch them carefully.
Shawna in CA
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.05(Tue)9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger barbs are not suited to a 10g tank at all, not even when they're the sole inhabitants, Elegy. It really makes them unhappy because they're so active. Besides, they get quite robust, so they become a bioload issue after awhile.

You could add more dwarf puffers. When I had these, I kept 7 of them in a 10g tank, and no other fish. Just the dwarf puffers. Every now and then I'd toss in some ghost shrimp which would pick at algae until the puffs decided to eat them.

They do get testy with each other, but if you have lots of plants to break up the sight lines, it helps them chill out a bit. They don't have to see each other all the time that way, and they also have places to sleep. They like to wedge themselves in the leaves of plants for night-night.
Artkelli
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.05(Tue)9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question. If they were in a bigger tank could you put other fish in with them?
Shawna in CA
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.05(Tue)9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but a BIG tank is recommended so you can have a LARGE school of tiger barbs.

For example, a 55g tank, 15 tiger barbs, then a school of something else, like say, harlequin rasboras.

You need BIG schools of tiger barbs so they'll pick on each other and leave everyone else alone.
Artkelli
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.05(Tue)13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a 55 gallon tank could they be put in with rainbow fish?

Also do they like to be in groups or can you just have 2 or 3?
Shawna in CA
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.06(Wed)0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want your other fish to stand a chance against tiger barbs, you need a school of at LEAST 10, and more is even better.

As far as the rainbows... I don't know. I wouldn't put tigers with anything in a 55g except maybe clown loaches and a red tailed shark.
elegy
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.06(Wed)5:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. I think I'm going to get a couple more puffers. then the tank won't look so empty.

they are too cute. I love the way they lounge on my plants. I haven't seen them getting testy with each other yet. I'll give them time Wink
Artkelli
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.06(Wed)6:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I asked. (In a 55 gallon tank could they be put in with rainbow fish? Also do they like to be in groups or can you just have 2 or 3?)

I was talking about the puffers not the barbs. Sorry for the confusion.
Choice Words
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.06(Wed)9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

You currently have three puffers in your 10gal and you want to add some more? My own personal opinion would be to not do that. They need territory.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: