Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Help!!! aquarium getting well over 30 celcius!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garry26
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.16(Sat)5:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the same message when I had multiple heatwaves here in the states. We are accustomed to these heatwaves, but this was my first with fish.

I posted it in the chemistry board and was given mostly the same advice. The more knowledgable people said that ice cubes on the water was no good because it would stress fish. I can only assume that Iced soda bottles will illicit the same response.

I tried a combination of filtration, shutting off lights, and my own idea of frequent water changes to keep the temperature low.

The new water was a few degrees lower than the tank water so stress was minimal if any. My tank water temperature always lowers by 1-3 degrees when I do water changes anyway and I see no change on the fish.

What I did
Changed 20-30% of the water daily. That lowered the temperature 2-4 degrees. As the day went on, the tank water temperature would rise, but it never rose back to its original temperature. So I ended up lowering my overall tank water temperature 1-2 degrees every day until I got to acceptable water temperature levels.
meg
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.27(Wed)16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

ICE CUBES ICE CUBES ICE CUBES!!!

seems odd, but they work great! My heater broke a little while ago, and before I noticed it was not workig properly, it made the temp in my tank soar to about 29c, So, to get the temp down quickly, throw icecubes in the tank,and put on in the filter, if there is room. Also the aforementioned cold blankets around tank, and the frozen pepsi bottles in your tank work along the same lines.

Hope it works out for you!
~meg
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: