Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Help!!! aquarium getting well over 30 celcius!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tropical laura
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.05(Tue)1:26    Post subject: Help!!! aquarium getting well over 30 celcius! Reply with quote

Help!!!

We are having huge heat waves! my bedroom is warming up even with the door and window wide open and my aquarium is even hotter the 3 fish I have there are alive, the mollies are not bothered but the swordtail is sitting on the bottom of the tank most of the time. What can I do? help!

Thanks
Laura
johnny's fish
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.05(Tue)6:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had this discussion a few times beore and this is what I remember from them...

1st Don't use your lights on the tank, they only add to the heat. Goto your local hardware store and get an item called "eggcrate" its a light difuser for flourescent light, use that to cover your tank.

2nd Put a fan blowing onto your tank.

3rd Use some old litre pop bottles and fill them with water and freeze them. Then after freezing put one into your tank, I have also heard of just putting ice cubes into the tank as well.

4th Wrap the tank with towels that have been soaked with cold water.

These are all different suggestions that I have heard out of these past discusions. I like the freezing water in a bottle one and also putting a fan blowing onto the tank.

Good Luck
John
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.05(Tue)7:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also increase aeration, which will expose more surface area of water to the air. Placing the air pump on a well-sealed bag of ice will put cooler air bubbles in the water and might help.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.05(Tue)14:13    Post subject: Any spare submergible water pumps, or power heads? Reply with quote

If you could hook up some tubing to some sort of pump, you could run the line out of the tank, into a bucket of ice water, then back to the tank. the length of line inthe ice would determine how cold the water became, so you could pull the line out of the ice as the tank got near a good temp.

Note, I've never done that, just considered it when my tank got hot. Now I just leave the lid open for the summer. That is enough cooling.
Mike
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.05(Tue)14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am living in this UK heatwave also.

My tanks are running at 32'c at the moment.

All fish are OK. I normally run tanks at 28'c normally so as to avoid disease.

This heat is not effeting the fish.

Just keep the lid open and increase the aeration and water flow in the tank.

If in doubt about fish, carry out more water changes, this will aid in oxygen transfer and the fish will be a lot happier anyway
minky
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.10(Sun)2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Mike, Hi Laura, I'm in the UK too and suffering for it!! I posted a few days ago about this very topic, if you do a search, mario provided a link to a previous discussion which you may find helpful.

I have a biorb so am limited in terms of fans and so on. I've just got the lid and light off and I'm just keeping my fingers crossed. The temperature is about 28C at the moment.
disembodied head
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.10(Sun)10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problom too not to long ago. What I did was everyday I would vaccum the bottom of my tank and take out about 4 gallons. After I ran coldER water from my trap and put it in my tank it cools it down. Make sure the water isnt too cold or you will most likely shock your fish and I good chance they will die. I aimed to lower the temp. by about one or two degrees at a time in the peroid of one day.
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.10(Sun)10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this thread. We discussed safe ways to reduce the water temperature in quite some detail. Hope some of the suggestions help... mario
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.10(Sun)12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in sunny southend we got 36 today. So in all the tropicals we've put ice blocks in the sump and HUGE great big ice blocks in the shark tank to cool them down. Not sure if using ice packs in a small tank would be a good idea, although we havent had any trouble.
tropical laura
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)7:32    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, my tank is back to the normal 28! Very Happy

The tank was 37 in the week! Fine now though

Laura

Ps, the heatwave is going now
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: