Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Well-Adapted Pond Fish
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EndlikeriEskort
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.03(Sun)19:13    Post subject: Well-Adapted Pond Fish Reply with quote

Earlier I posted about a catfish that I had no way to transport home. Well, while examining the pond, there are some amazing fish. The pond can (sometimes doesn't) drop to 60 in the winter, but for the majority of the year (just over 3/4 of the year) stays about 80, so it is basically a tropical pond. On top of these catfish, there are 13" and 14" bluegill, and bizarre carp that don't have those mouth barbels, and don't have down-truned mouths. These carp look like carp, but are big (roughly 15 pounds), and have mouths that look like those of the pictus cat, but with no barbels. They also have a checkerboard pattern, brown and white, along their body. Along with that, there is a 16 pound, 31 inch koi in the pond that lives happily with the other carp. There are also some really aggressive sunfish. The owner had to wade in the pond to get a floating milk jug out, and to his surprise, a sunfish bit his stomach and gave him a bloodspot. What is the reason for these bizzarre things?
Kagh't
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.06(Sat)14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

that 'carp' sounds like a hybrid of several different species, most likely there are orfe, common carp, and maybe a bit of koi all mixed up, probably from cross breeding in a pond, or simillar, I've seen some pretty weird hybrids, so I'd probs attribute it to that.

as for the sunfish, I recommend a shotgun Twisted Evil
jbmac
Members

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that orfe can cross breed with common and koi carp? I always thought they couldn't.
Kagh't
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.07(Sun)14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying they can, but then again, I've heard of some pretty strange cross-breedings before...
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.09.08(Mon)20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remeber reading an article about goldfishxkoi hybrids, which resemble goldfish in almost every way except size.

I think the article was at www.koivet.com
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: