Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Seed my filter from freshwater tank for fishless cycling?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frosstman
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.03(Sun)16:51    Post subject: Seed my filter from freshwater tank for fishless cycling? Reply with quote

Hi, I currently have a fully-cycled, aged 40 gallon freshwater tank. I just set up a 40 gallon marine tank and will fishless cycle it. I cycled my 5 gallon fw tank in my office in less than a week using some water, gravel and filter medium from my cycled tank. Can I use some filter medium or water from the fw tank to speed along the sw tank or are the beneficial bacteria different? Thanks.
Waffleman
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.08(Fri)20:07    Post subject: seeding your filter Reply with quote

Just like the fish, the bacteria are totally different from fresh to salt water.

All the bacteria would die and then the filter will start growing new bacteria.
To expedite your cycle, do a fishless cycle using ammonia and live rock.
You have your tank cycled in a matter of weeks.

HTH
Waffleman
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say do the fishless cycle but personally I don't like the idea of using ammonia directly in the tank but thats just my opinion. Another way of doing this is get some peel and eat shrimp from the grocery store and throw 2 or 3 in the tank and let it go. This will kick start the cycle for you.

Buy yes the bacteria is different and fw would not survive in salt and vice versa.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: