Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Algae algae algae!
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DVDEmperor
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.02(Sat)13:58    Post subject: Algae algae algae! Reply with quote

I have just started a 55 gallon Red Devil tank and it's now about 3 weeks old and the Red Devil is fine and happy. The only problem is, algae, mostly hair algae and that red algae have taken over the tank. I would try algae eaters but the Red Devil would eat them.

I see some anti-algae products in fish stores and I am wondering if they really do work. I would hate to have to cut the lights off for 2 weeks to kill off the algae.

Thanks!
Dalton
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.03(Sun)21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a cichlid tank and kept one spotted rapheal cat and one pleco they seemed to do a great job. this is only possible b/c pleco and spotted rapheal are exoskeleton. and cichlids won't bother them
fishdude
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.03(Sun)23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, when I set up my flowerhorn tank I got some pretty crazy hair algae going. It's just now starting to go away(about three months), but there's still some around the edges of my anubias' top leaves. The leparinas, synodantis cat (yeah I know, he's an african in a s.a. tank), and the pleco seem to do OK on the other algae, but they didn't touch the hairgrass. I heard that siamese algae eaters are the only a.e.'s that will work on the hair algae, but those are definately out of the question. The f.h. doesn't bother the synodantis at all, but I started with three pleco's, and now I'm down to one; and a pretty tattered one at that.

I think my problem was that I had an actinic bulb running with my pink bulbs to highlight the f.h.'s irridescent spangling, and yeah it made him look great, but my lord...the hair algae just exploded! I was told after the fact that the blue light was what prompted it, so I stopped using it and after stepping up water changes, it finally seems to be subsiding.

As far as chemicals go, I can't say I recommend them, but that's just me. In my opinion it's better to try to find out what's causing the problem and fix that naturally; if you kill the algae with chemicals, sure you're rid of it for now, but it will come back. I guess you could use an algaecide for a quick fix, and then add a sack of phosphate and/or nitrate absorbing media to your system. Doing water changes on a regular basis (I try to do 5 gallon water changes two or three times a week in a 40 gal.) seems to help. Pretty much, anything you can do to reduce nitrates and phosphates in your water will help cut off the algae's food supply. Live plants (java and anubias) are an option also, as they will compete with the algae for food, but only if your r.d. is pretty small. My f.h. is about to get traded in for some ram's that will appreciate the aformentioned plants I've gotten so far, and not try to destroy them. He was OK with the plants when he was a wee little thing, but he's getting to be the size of my hand now, and has grown to be quite the holy terror. (Just for the record I knew it was only a matter of time; my plan was to get him small for $X ammount, and when he got too big and crazy, to trade him back in for a lot more credit toward some dwarf s.a.'s).

Anyway, that's getting off the subject. I can't remember which, but it was either the hair algae or cynobacteria (I think it's the cynobacteria) that I heard does very well in low light/dark conditions, meaning that turning off your lights may or may not help. (If anybody can drop in with some hard facts on the subject that would be cool; I hate not being sure about stuff like that. thanks!)

So yeah, I guess in a nutshell all I'm really saying is if you don't supply the algae with what it needs to flourish (I.e. excess nutrients and an algae freindly light spectrum), and you can get a pleco to survive the r.d.'s attentions, you should be OK.

fishdude
bohica
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.11(Mon)19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you have to understand that large cichlids are messy eaters and excess nutrients are always going to be a problem. Massive over filtration will help but not completely eliminate the problem.

Also your problem can be a lack of proper lighting. Good full or plant specific spectrum lighting in sufficient quantity will encourage the growth of "good" green algae which will compete with the blue/green/red "hair" algae for nutrients and soon eliminate it.

I disagree about actinic bulbs causing the "hair" algae completely. I use them in all of my show tanks with excellant results.

To review.

1. Good full spectrum lighting in good quantity.

2. Double the recommended amount of filtration. For 55 gal. I would have between 700 and 1000 GPH of good Chem/bio/mech. filtration.

3. Do regular water changes weekly.

4. Do not overfeed.

That should solve your problem.

Bo
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: