Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Dwarf Moray
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EndlikeriEskort
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.31(Thu)11:06    Post subject: Dwarf Moray Reply with quote

I was thinking of starting a ten gallon nano-reef, with no inverts like shrimp, only inverts like corals, anemones, things like that. I was wondering if I could put a golden dwarf moray (the one that grows only to about 10") in it? Any objections/problems forseen?
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.31(Thu)14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

??? Surprised ??? just though I would say if you don't already know the susposible 1inch of fish per gallon thing is for freshwater for saltwater its more like 1 inch per 5g. so if your getting a nano which I don't recomend to do in the first place get a really really small gobie or nothing at all. I recomend you setup a 20 or 30g. with saltwater the bigger the easier. also if this is you first saltwater try doing a fish only tank first then go from there. also a dwarf eel is not an easy first fish plus they probably neeed more than 40gs to live in.
2 winged demons
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.07.31(Thu)14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure its a

Gymnothorax melatremus and not a Gymnothorax miliaris(grows to 2 feet)

There both named Golden Moray. Most include Dwarf in the Melatremus name.

You can keep a Golden dwarf Moray(Gymnothorax melatremus) in a 10 Gallon. Provide him with proper food and you'll have no problems. For a few more bucks I'd put him in a 15 or 20.

I've thought of putting one in my 20L they are beautiful.

Do you have any saltwater Experience?

Cause at 300 bucks a pop you might want a little practice Laughing
EndlikeriEskort
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.31(Thu)21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not specifically saltwater experience, more or less moray experience. I have learned SOOOOOOOOO much from the internet, and now I think I am prepared. But I have kept dwarf freshwater morays, I. e. Echidna rhodochilus (my avatar is a picture of mine), growing to 20 Inches average, 24 Inches maximum. I have learned how to get them to eat, what foods are healthiest, when to feed, and mine has (believe it or not) grown roughly 3 inches in one month. I bought him at 8", and he is now 11". Are there any other saltwater morays that I could keep in a 20 gallon? If not, how about a 30 Gallon? I also like the barred moray, Echidna polyzona, and know where to get them at $24.00 each. I have read that the banded moray will grow to about 24 inches maximum, so could he be kept in a 30 gallon tank if he was the only inhabitant?
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.08.01(Fri)4:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the only moray you can keep in anyhting under a 50 gallon is the Golden Dwarf. There may be other small morays out there, but I've never seen any commercially available. A 24 inch moray Is gigantic compared to a 10 inch.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.01(Fri)7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise against putting it in a 10 gall most of what I have found reccomends at least a 20 gall min for one of these eels. Before buying such an expensive critter I would suggest getting some experience first before getting someting like that. Even if you get a simple fish like a single damsel and learn the basics. Thats a lot of money and a big jump for a fish like that. Also you have to make sure your tank is basically sealed eels are master escape artist and can fit through holes you wouldnt expect them to fit through.
EndlikeriEskort
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.01(Fri)7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay let's set one thing strait. I know all about moray care, I have one right now. Its just that its in freshwater. But I do understand what I need to do for the eel, how to eel-proof the tank, so on and so forth. If I do get the aquarium, I will get a damsel, maybe even as company for my dwarf moray, to practice on. Or, how about a maroon clownfish?
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to cut anything out make the lid as tight as possible around everything. If there are any openings maby put some type of plastic or tape that holds well over the holes to make sure everything is closed up good.
Mike612
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.15(Fri)9:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with karlas, no saltwater fish no matter how small they are should be kept in a tank less than 20 gallons and just telling you that no matter how much you think you know about them will be completely different in real life and that saltwater and freshwater eels are completely different also. you've already made your one mistake, you said you'd put a damsel in with it, its OK if its in there alone but if theres an eel in there you can just kiss your damsel goodbye. I'm not telling you all this to upset you or n e thing, I'm just warning you of all the differences. in my opinion though, I would say that an eel should be kept in atleast a 50 gallon aquarium, even if the eels small, it still needs a lot of room to swim in and there will have to be live rock in the tank for it to hide in since no saltwater tank should be without live rock so thats also going to take up a lot of room. I would be patient, take my advise and get a huge tank because even for my 75 gallon, I had to wait for 5 months before I could put n e thing in there.
EndlikeriEskort
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.17(Sun)22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now why would I get a 55g tank for a 7 inch (15cm) eel? And, how would a 7 inch eel eat a 3 inch damsel? (my 13 inch eel can barely eat 1+1/2 inch fish)
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: