Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
fancy goldfish biting fancy goldfish
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaughan
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.30(Wed)0:11    Post subject: fancy goldfish biting fancy goldfish Reply with quote

Hello Folks,

I have what I think might be an unusual question......

We have two fish. Both fantailed goldfish, both silver and orange. One has been with us now for 8 months and the other only for one month.

We have been suffering a whitespot attack which I think was brought in with the newer fish as we had not seen it before. The older fish got really run down and her tail started to get a little ragged. As this started to happen the younger fish keeps nipping at her tail and chasing her around the bowl. I am worried that this is stressing out Mrs Blubbie so that she won't recover.

Has anyone got any advice or pointers?

We are using a BiOrb tank (32L) with filter etc and Intrepid White Spot treatment. They get two chunks of intrepid Gold food a day between them. Is this enough? They always eat it up within a few minutes and then give me the oliver twist look (please sir can I have some more....)

Any help appreciated.

Vaughan
uLtRa
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.30(Wed)12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its normal for goldfish to do this. Males will do it to females when they're ready to breed, my 2 males do it all the time. Maybe you could try re arranging your tank decor to try and confuse the newer fish so it will stop. Have you made any plans for when your fantails outgrow your bi-orb?
EndlikeriEskort
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.30(Wed)16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with ultra, it sounds like you have a breeding pair. My goldfish did this also when they were ready to breed.
Matt Shandorf
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.07.31(Thu)8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've had the same experience with Goldfish. A way to confirm it is to examine them closely to see if one's sides are swollen out at the posterior end of the stomach. Gravid females usually have this appearance. If it turns out that they are spawning, and if you want to keep the babies, it's best to remove the eggs and put them in a seperate tank. Once they hatch you could grind up some algae wafers and pellet food for them and maybe feed them some baby brine shrimp when they get older.
vaughan
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.31(Thu)9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks for the input....

I didn't think that goldfish were likely to breed!!! Especially in a tank.

They are quite small - about an inch to an inch and a half not including tails so we haven't made any plans for out growing their current quarters. We change some of the water every week and the filter system seem to work fine. We don't overfeed them and the water quality seems good so they'll be there for a while as long as their whitespot infection doesn't take hold again.

We wouldn't want them to breed - it's plenty to look after the two of them How can we stop them?

Cheers

Vaughan
Matt Shandorf
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.07.31(Thu)12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they do breed, and you still don't want the babies, simply leave the eggs in the tank. The goldies will eat 'em, unless you have some really thick java moss in that tank.
Sasha
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.11.07(Fri)19:37    Post subject: Nippiness might be from cramped conditions... Reply with quote

A 32L bowl isn't really big enough for two goldfish, before I moved my goldfish to a much bigger aquarium I noticed aggression between them and I suspect it was because of the cramped conditions.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.11.07(Fri)22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree wholeheartedly with sasha. 1 1/2" is nowhere enar breeding size and these fish aren't sexually mature. They are cramped and fighting for space.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, K All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: