Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
So its a new start.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyravr
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.29(Tue)5:47    Post subject: So its a new start. Reply with quote

Well I just set up a new 55G tank. All there is now is water/salt mix, 40Lbs of LR and 2" of sand. Lighting is just standard fluorescent bulbs, and I have 2 power heads going.

Is this a good beginning for a fish only ? Maybe later on when I get used to this salt water stuff I will get corals etc... but for now I will be happy with the FO setup. Do I need to change lighting ? Add antyhing else to the setup ? Or simply test the water and wait.... Also, how soon can I add a living creature into the tank (its been going for 4 days now).

Any input is great.

I don't plan to use any other filtration then the LV. Maybe a skimmer at a mcuh later date but thats it.
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.01(Fri)8:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a decent start for a fo. You might want to check into a filter, maby a skimmer there good for a fo or reef. You don't need any special lighting just for fish you can still go with some interesting inverts. Shrimp, snails, crabs, dusters to give your tank some variety. Just keep testing the water. You do not want to add anything until your ammonia and nitrites are at completely 0. These 2 are the toxic stages of the nitrogen cycle. When there at 0 and nitrates are going up then its safe.

check these out they can explain a lot in detail

reefkeeping 101
http://www.reefcorner.com/reef%20keeping_101.htm

nitrogen cycle
http://www.epetpals.com/cycle.htm
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: