Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
(Writing plan for 26.5g.) The Stocking List
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.28(Mon)19:28    Post subject: (Writing plan for 26.5g.) The Stocking List Reply with quote

OK I am writing up a plan for a 26.5g tank. dementions 17x12x30. (HxWxL) the tank will have a 10g refugium(yes I know its big). The entire setup will hold 36.5gs of water. Would be able to keep these critters in the tank when doing a 20% water change weekly?
Stocking list #1
2 x False Percula
2 x Orange Fire fish
2 x Cleaner Shrimp
2 x Peppermint Shrimp
10 x Snails
Stocking list #2
4 x Orange Fire Fish
2 x Cleaner Shrimp
2 x Peppermint Shrimp
10 x Snails

Also dose anybody know how to get a pair of Orange Fire Fish or how to make a pair? I have already heard that Fire fish will be OK and shoal in a group of 3+ but I heard that if you keep 2 that aren't a pair one will bully the other like mad. if I could I would have 3 orange fire fish on stocking list #1 but I think thats pushing it. also I am flexiable on how big of a water change I do. I could do 28%. please critisize me!!!!
2 winged demons

Last edited by SLACkra on 2003.07.28(Mon)21:33; edited 1 time in total
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.07.28(Mon)20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have any specialty shops in the area that cater only to fish? They should be able to get you a mated pair.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.28(Mon)21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all its a plan for a tank that I plan on setting up in australia. once I have moved. my entire family are moving permenatly to melbourne australia. I have already found a pet shop that sells saltwater stuff like coral and fish but not sure if they are that fish specific. but what do you think of my stocking lists? would they work? do you think could get away with 3 firefish and a pair of clowns or is that over doing it?

Just thought I would add a bit more info about the equitment that will be on it. It will have a prizm protien skimmer on it. the lighting is going to be 130watts 2x55watt pcs one antic and one 10k plus a 20watt 50/50 no flouresent tube. to make a healthy 4.9watts per gallon. the refugium is going to have 2x20watt no flouresnt tubes. there is probably going to be an automatic top of system too.
2 winged demons
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.31(Thu)0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been modifing the plan abit and I have decided to have a 32g instead of a 26.5g. so thats going to be 42gs of water instead of 36.5gs. also I have changed the stocking lists a bit
Stocking list #1
2 x False Percula Clowns(pair)
? x Orange Fire Fish
2 x Coral Banded Shrimp(pair)
? x Snails/herbivores
Stocking list #2
? x Orange Fire Fish
2 x Coral banded shrimp
? x Snails/herbivores
Also I have read different articles some saying that when fire fish in a group they will live together in a shoal. I however have also heard that if you have them in a group slowly but surly they will disapper untill there is only one fish left. Will fire fish shoal in a group of three without terrorizing eachother, or is it best to have them in groups 4+. If you want to see the entire plan just pm me and I will pm the plan to you. thanks your info will help a lot!
2 winged demons
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.01(Fri)6:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet to finding a pair would be to take a good look and see if there are 2 in the tank at the lfs that seem to be together. Thats sort of how I picked my pair and they been together since I got them. I wouldnt go over 2 the best way is 1,2, or 6. Most that I've heard that tried inbetween have lost theres until theres 1 or 2 left.

I would be aware of the coral banded shrimps they are difficult to pair and they will be the only shrimp in the tank. They are very aggressive twds other shrimp and can be also towards small fish. They have been known to make meals out of sleeping or slow bottom dwelling fish.

As far as your water change 28% is a lot I would lower it maby to 20, 25 would be the most.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.01(Fri)12:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I introduce 200 amthipods into the tank just after they cycle has completed and I waited a month and a half to 2 months could I introduce a mandarin gobie if I had a good colony of pods? heres my new stocking list:

2 x False Percula (2 juviniles)
1 or a pair of Orange Fire Fish (if 2( a mated pair))
A mated pair of Coral Banded Shrimp (a mated pair
???1 mandarin gobie???
10 snails.

I have decided not to have any hermit crabs because they always kill each other. I have also decided to have a mated pair of coral banded shrimp because peppermint shrimp and cleaner shrimp are rare down in australia. I am going to do the 15-20% water change weekly.
2 winged demons
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.08.03(Sun)16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry guys I have decided that it will be easier to have my first salty tank in australia to be a 20g.
2 winged demons
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.12(Tue)8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just go witht he pair of percs some snails, but I would change the choice on the shrimp maby go with some cleaners or blood shrimp.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: