Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
fish for my 20g
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krista
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.27(Sun)19:51    Post subject: fish for my 20g Reply with quote

I am planning to set up a 20 gallon mini saltwater tank. I will have a hang on the back filter, a protein skimmer and live rock. This is my first SW tank. I really want to keep 2 clownfish. I am also thinking of having a cardinal fish and or a damsel or a gramma (depending on what is available). I've heard its also good to have shrimp or snails for clean up.

Is 4-5 fish plus shrimp?snails to much? From reading stuff here I get the feeling it is but I've also heard of mini tanks where it did work.
Thanks for any advice.
Monster
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.28(Mon)11:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sorta depends on how many water changes you are up for - doing a weekly 10% water change, I would go with a pair of clowns plus 1 more small fish. A damselfish would be good since they are so hardy. Shrimp, snails, crabs, a starfish etc...would be OK as long as you don't have too many ....I would just start slow and see how things go.
Good Luck! Smile
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.28(Mon)14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its a 20g I think a pair of fale percs or true percs, a small gobie maybe a Orange or Purple fire fish, 2-4 peppermint shrimp and some snails would be good. peppermints are perfect shrimp. I have one and hes grown half an inch since I got him. hes now about 2inches long. peppermints are reef safe, love to be in groups and are quite happy to eat flake food. my shrimp treats flake food like its the best food on earth and hes eaten everything from brine shrimp to hole earthworms. thats what I recomend for a 20g. and for the clowns get them when they're babies. if you do that you will buy two males. soon the dominant one will change its sex and become a female and then they will pair up. facinating stuff, eh! Wink
2 winged demons
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.01(Fri)6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a 20 I would go with the clowns for fish but no more than that. Maby 1 or 2 shrimp cleaner, fire, and peppermint shrimp all pair up nicely. You could go with some snails maby a crab or 2, feather dusters someting along those lines.

But 4-5 fish would be way to much for a tank like that. One reason you can't stock a sw tank like a fw tank is because there is less oxygen in sw compared to fw. Most say for fw 1" per gallon where sw is 1" per 5 gallons some go 1" per 3 gallons.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: