Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Equipment List for a New Reef: Please Shoot Me Down
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bishop
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.26(Sat)18:30    Post subject: Equipment List for a New Reef: Please Shoot Me Down Reply with quote

Here is my final list for my first 55G reef tank. I have decided that I am going to add corals to the tank when it is appropriate to do so. Please let me know if anything doesn't fit in with what I want to do.

--90# Aragonite Sand
--75# Fiji Live Rock
--Eheim 2227 Wet/Dry
--Red Sea Prizm Protein Skimmer
--Ebo Jager Heater (250W)
--Hagen 402 Powerheads (2)
--I will be using RO water
--I am still debating on the lighting. At minumum, I expect to have approx. 160W.

At this time, I don't plan on using a plenum However, I will be using eggcrate material beneath the live rock, so having one would be no problem if you feel it would be terribly worthwhile. I just keep finding somewhat contradictory information.

I think that's about it. Please let me know if I am missing anything. Everything has been purchased. I am just waiting for a few things to ship.
I appreciate your input.
Bishop
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.07.28(Mon)4:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd push the lighting over 200 watts minimum. 55's are deep tanks and with 160 watts you'll be able to keep nothing but shrooms on the bottom.

and

That sounds like an awful lot fo sand. I have close to 3 inches covering my whole bottom and I don't think I used 50# and after three inches your wasting tank space and your money. Its not really needed.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.07.28(Mon)14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds OK but less sand and more lighting. you would probably be best off with getting pc or power compact lighting. 4x55watt of pc should do the trick. that would be costing you about 300-400 canadian. good equitment list I have a prizm on a 30g shroom tank and it works great. you just got to do some small ajustments to your plan and you will be ready.
2 winged demons
bishop
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.30(Wed)16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will gladly use less sand! That will save me some money. I only said 90# because every article I've read gives the same formula for sand and it supposedly amounts to about that....oh well, I probably cut it down to 60# then and take a bag back!

As far as lighting goes, I am mainly concerned about heat.

I live in a very warm area and I have a hard time keeping the temperature of my water down. I always keep my house at about 80F, so that is as cool as my tanks really get in the summer. In the winter, its not a problem, but the summers here are killers. THerefore, I want to try to balance my lighting options agains the heat that they create. Regardless of what I do, I am probably just going to build a fan cooled hood.

DO power compacts run significantly warmer than regular flourescents?
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.01(Fri)8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the eggcrate myself but some people like it that do use it. Again you are planning on staying fo so I wouldnt worry about lighting tomuch right now. If you upgrade to corals then yes upgrade your lighting. Its easier to add your sand till it gets to the level you want any unused sand save for someting else.

Maby with your heat problem did you ever check into a chiller?

made just for fish tanks
http://www.marinedepot.com/a_ch__index.asp
bishop
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.01(Fri)14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've considered a chiller. Unfortunately, the cost is somewhat prohibitive. Yes, I could go out and buy one, but that is $500+ that I would much rather spend on any number of other things. I would probably just drop the temp in the house before I invested in a chiller.

Thanks,
Bishop
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: