Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
powder blue tang
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcpowers
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.26(Sat)12:42    Post subject: powder blue tang Reply with quote

Hello, new to the board, looking for a little information. I started a 120 gallon salwater tank about 6 months ago. Right now, I have different corals (frog spawn, mushrooms, xenia, colt) in the tank with 2 clowns. I am going at a pace at which my wallet can afford.

Anyway, we have had tremendous success with our tank, but there was a setback the other day. Our powder blue tang died. I perform a monthly water change, around 35%. I add calcium and Iodine (for the corals). I feed formula 1 and 2 to the fish with addition of a droplet protein and flake food. Temp is around 81. The day the fish died, I added some food and noticed that it was kind of bulky, wondering if fish choked (has anyone ever heard of this before?).

The reason I am starting to do more research is because I thought this was a really cool fish. He defintely added character to this young tank adn I want to buy another one. Being a moderately priced fish, I want to see if anyone has tips for me.

Thanks..

Shoot me an email at bigdogairborne@yahoo.com if you want.....
GrendelPrime76
Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.26(Sat)12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you defrost the food before feeding?, sorry to hear your loss, what about a purple tang? there a beautiful addition to almost any tank
mcpowers
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.07.28(Mon)20:01    Post subject: food Reply with quote

Yep, definitely defrosted the food and then applied the droplets of protein along with the flaked food. A saltwater aquarium shop in town showed me this little trick.

Who knows...
karlas
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.08.01(Fri)6:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powder blues are beautiful fish but they are one of the most difficult of the tang species to care for. They really are not a good beginner fish. They are more succeptible to ick and and extremely sensitive to changes in water. I never heard of a fish choking like that but anything is possible.

When you do your water change did you ever test your water? A 35% change is actually quite a bit. You should lower the amount of your water change anything over 25% is not reccomended unless its a extreme emergency for someting. Changing to much water can actually affect the parameters and may cause some ammonia or nitrites. I would suggest changing a little less water or maby doing 2 smaller changes maby 1, 2 weeks apart.

Or just to be sure try another water change as to what you normally do then test the water the next day to see if anything changes. If there is the slightest change in anything it could have easily affected a fish like a powder blue. Where a small change might not affect a clown fish or be as noticable. Do this and let me know what you find out.

Thnx
mcpowers
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.01(Fri)7:32    Post subject: PBT (Powder Blue Tang) Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, makes sense. I never tested the water and when started to think about it, I was changing 30 gallons out of a 120 gallon (8 inch sand base, 40 lbs live rock) so I need to recalculate the %.

Finally am getting my custom built canopy for the lights, we are really excited. Think we are going to work on the corals for a little bit before trying the PBT again, he was a really cool fish.

Anyway, I will definelty try your recommendations and go out and but nitrate, nitrite and ammonium test kits.

thanks
Metz
Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.03(Sun)18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing to keep in mind about tangs is that they are very active fish and normaly found in surge zones on the reef, where multiple currents crash into each other, hence waters with VERY high disolved oxygen levels. therefore, the more current you have in a tang tank, the better. you specificaly want a lot of current near the top, to create surface agitation, trapping oxygen in the water.
mcpowers
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.08.04(Mon)5:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea.....I did notice that the tang was always swimming in front of my powerhead. Was thinking of gettting another powerhead and a wave maker/contoller.

Thanks for the input
panaque
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.09.15(Mon)10:33    Post subject: powder blue Reply with quote

the powder blue surgeon fish or tang is a very hard one to keep indeed...how long did you have it? the reason I ask this is that they don't do well if they are caught with cyanide as many fish unfortunately are....ask your dealer who his suppliers are and if they "net catch" thier fish...if not your fish probably died from a number of possible complications such as lateral line disease....a direct cause of reef depletion and habitat destruction is the use of chemicals to catch fish...be selective of who you buy from!
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: